BP in Turkey
As a major investor in Turkey’s economy and energy sector for 100 years, with a significant presence in both Downstream and Upstream, our work in Turkey is varied and wide-ranging
What we do
In 2012, BP Turkey has celebrated its 100th anniversary. Anglo-Persian Oil Company, the predecessor of BP, opened an office in Istanbul (then the capital of the Ottoman Empire) in 1912. BP’s downstream businesses in Turkey date back to the 1940’s. In addition to our significant Refining and Marketing presence, such as Retail Fuels, Lubricants and LPG, two of BP’s globally strategic Upstream projects are in Turkey: the BTC Pipeline and the Shah Deniz gas supply system. BP and Turkey have been partners in such major projects for many years.
- Over half of the length and facilities, and most of the complexity of the BP-operated Baku-Tbilisi- Ceyhan Pipeline is in Turkey.
- Turkey receives 6.6 billion cubic meters of natural gas each year from the Shah Deniz field in Azerbaijan, operated by BP.
- BP’s retail fuels are represented in Turkey with over 600 dealer-owned and operated fuel stations throughout the country, as well as fuels and LPG terminals and storage facilities. ATAS, the former refinery and currently the largest fuels terminal in the Eastern Mediterranean, is 68% owned by BP.
- Castrol is a very well known brand in the country, with a significant market share in both automotive and industrial lubricants. One of BP’s most modern and high-tech lubricants plants is located in Gemlik, Turkey.
- Air BP has operations in 5 major airports as well as a regional hub in Turkey. BP Marine fuels and Marine Lubricants also have a presence in the country.
- Along with the BTC Pipeline and Shah Deniz gas project, BP is the only international oil company involved in both the Downstream and Upstream sectors of Turkey’s energy industry.
Our people and partners
Our main centers of employment are in Istanbul and Ankara, where we employ both Downstream and Upstream staff. We also have smaller groups of people working at the fuels terminals throughout the country. Many of these facilities are joint ventures with other companies.
BP Turkey has identified to carry out its activities "without accidents, with no harm to people and no damage to the environment", as a priority working principle. In line with this policy, and our responsibility towards society, we have developed several road safety projects, where we carry out awareness-raising activities against traffic accidents which claim thousands of lives in Turkey every year.
- BP Turkey has set up a Road Safety Children's Theatre which aims to contribute to raising the awareness of each individual of the society on road safety and to reducing traffic accidents in Turkey. We have reached nearly 2 million children across the country through our travelling theatre so far. We aim to reach even more children via our www.bpcocuk.com website within the scope of this social responsibility project launched in collaboration with the Department of Traffic Services of Turkish National Police.
- We also lent our support for the establishment of the “Turkey Road Safety Platform” which operates via the www.degistirebiliriz.org web site.
- As BP Turkey, we are a proud sponsor of the Turkish National Olympic Committee and Turkish National Paralympic Committee. Apart from our sponsorship of the national teams, we supported 5 Olympic and 8 Paralympic individual athletes in the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Since 2003, the BTC Company, operated by BP, has provided support to social investment projects along the pipeline. Over 300 villages and thousands of people have benefited from these investments.
Please use the contact details below to email, call or write to us at BP Turkey. We aim to deal with your enquiries as quickly as possible.
BP office in Turkey
- BP Türkiye
Asya Park Ofis Bostancı İş Merkezi
Değirmenyolu Caddesi No:28
İçerenköy / İstanbul
Tel: +90 216 571 2000
Fax: +90 216 571 2450