BP in Turkey
As a major investor in Turkey’s economy and energy sector for 100 years, with a significant presence in both Downstream and Upstream, our work in Turkey is varied and wide-ranging
What we do
In 2012, BP Turkey has celebrated its 100th anniversary. Anglo-Persian Oil Company, the predecessor of BP, opened an office in Istanbul (then the capital of the Ottoman Empire) in 1912. BP’s downstream businesses in Turkey date back to the 1940’s. In addition to our significant Refining and Marketing presence, such as Retail Fuels, Lubricants and LPG, two of BP’s globally strategic Upstream projects are in Turkey: the BTC Pipeline and the Shah Deniz gas supply system. BP and Turkey have been partners in such major projects for many years.
- Over half of the length and facilities, and most of the complexity of the BP-operated Baku-Tbilisi- Ceyhan Pipeline is in Turkey. The Turkish section includes 4 pump stations, a pressure reduction station, and the Ceyhan Marine Terminal.
- Turkey receives 6.6 billion cubic meters (bcma) of natural gas each year from the Shah Deniz field in Azerbaijan, operated by BP. With the Shah Deniz Stage 2, or Full Field Development (FFD) project, it is planned to deliver an additional 6 bcma of gas to Turkey in the future, and a further 10 bcma of gas to markets in Europe, via additional pipeline systems that will go through Turkey.
- BP’s retail fuels are represented in Turkey with over 600 dealer-owned and operated fuel stations throughout the country, as well as fuels and LPG terminals and storage facilities. ATAS, the former refinery and currently the largest fuels terminal in the Eastern Mediterranean, is 68% owned by BP.
- Castrol is a very well known brand in the country, with a leading market share in automotive lubricants and a significant market share overall. One of BP’s most modern and high-tech lubricants plants is located in Gemlik, Turkey, from where products are exported to several other countries.
- Air BP has operations in 11 major airports in Turkey. Istanbul is also a hub for Air BP’s business in the greater region.
Our people and partners
Our main centers of employment are in Istanbul and Ankara, where we employ both Downstream and Upstream staff. We also have smaller groups of people working at the fuels terminals throughout the country. Many of these facilities are joint ventures with other companies.
BP Turkey has identified to carry out its activities "without accidents, with no harm to people and no damage to the environment", as a priority working principle. In line with this policy, and our responsibility towards society, we have developed several road safety projects, where we carry out awareness-raising activities against traffic accidents which claim thousands of lives in Turkey every year.
- BP Turkey has set up a Road Safety Children's Theatre which aims to contribute to raising the awareness of each individual of the society on road safety and to reducing traffic accidents in Turkey. We have reached nearly 2 million children across the country through our travelling theatre so far. We aim to reach even more children via our www.bpcocuk.com website.
- We also lent our support for the establishment of the “Turkey Road Safety Platform” which operates via the www.degistirebiliriz.org website. We work closely with the Department of Traffic Services of the Turkish National Police and other road-safety-conscious companies and NGOs, and sponsor conferences and seminars on road safety.
- As BP Turkey, we are a proud sponsor of the Turkish National Olympic Committee and Turkish National Paralympic Committee. Apart from our sponsorship of the national teams, we supported 5 Olympic and 8 Paralympic individual athletes in the London 2012 Olympic Games. We will continue to support the teams and individual athletes up to 2016.
- Since 2003, the BTC Company, operated by BP, has provided support to social and environmental initiatives along the BTC pipeline route. Over 300 villages and thousands of people have benefited from our social investment projects .
Please use the contact details below to email, call or write to us at BP Turkey. We aim to deal with your enquiries as quickly as possible.
BP office in Turkey
- BP Türkiye
Asya Park Ofis Bostancı İş Merkezi
Değirmenyolu Caddesi No:28
İçerenköy / İstanbul
Tel: +90 216 571 2000
Fax: +90 216 571 2450