Want to discuss your ideas? Looking for investment? We’d like to hear from you. Email us on: email@example.com
What we do
BP ventures was set up more than ten years ago to identify and invest in private, high growth, game-changing technology companies, accelerating innovation across the entire energy spectrum. Today we have invested more than $300 million in technology companies in over 40 entities with more than 200 co-investors.
Venturing plays a key role in BP’s strategy, announced in February 2017, by helping the drive towards a low carbon energy transition future, leveraging our investments across a wide portfolio of relevant technology businesses.
Our investment areas of interest
Our portfolio is primarily focused on emerging technologies in oil and gas exploration and production and downstream conversion processes. In addition, we have a renewed strategic focus on five key areas: bio & low carbon products, carbon management, power & storage, advanced mobility and digital transformation.
What makes BP ventures different?
We are both an investor and an end-user of the technologies in which we invest. That creates a longer-term commitment, because we look beyond a quick financial return; we want to see these new technologies deployed into our businesses.
Feedback from the companies in which we invest suggests that we feel different too from other venture capital funds. We bring experience and capabilities in strategy development, marketing, health and safety, procurement, finance and contracting. Finally, our investments and our engagements are guided by our strongly held values of safety, respect, excellence, courage and one team.
Meet the team
BP ventures has a global remit and works closely with start-ups, entrepreneurs and industry partners. Meet the team to find out more about our capabilities and broad range of focus.
- Since 2006, BP ventures has invested over $300 million in corporate venturing
- The current BP ventures active portfolio includes over 40 entities, with over 200 co-investors
- BP ventures invests in emerging and disruptive technologies across upstream, downstream and low-carbon
- We announced five new venture investments in 2016 and a further investment in 2017 - see latest announcements below
- BP announces $25 million investment in Tricoya Ventures UK Limited (TVUK)
- BP announces investment of $30 million in biojet producer, Fulcrum
- BP and SMG deepen their relationship (November 14 2016)
- Advanced BioCatalytics closes round of financing lead by BP ventures
- Air BP acquires a stake in RocketRoute
- BP ventures named as participant in proposed Tricoya consortium
- Vestas acquires leading wind services provider Upwind Solutions
- DuPont Acquires Taxon Biosciences, Inc.
- Acquisition of Breathing Buildings Limited
- Avantium acquires Liquid Light