Terms & conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THE BP ULTIMATE FIELD TRIP COMPETITION (“the Competition”)
- These are the rules (‘Official Rules’) that apply to the Competition, which is hosted on www.bp.com/fieldtrip/us (the ‘BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website’). If you do not comply with the Official Rules, you may be disqualified from the Competition without further notice.
- Please read these Official Rules before you enter the Competition. False or deceptive entries or acts will render an entry ineligible.
- By entering the Competition, all entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of BP plc.
- BP plc reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Official Rules without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside BP plc’s reasonable control. Any changes will be posted within these General Rules and/or on the BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website.
- This Competition is open to teams consisting of 3 individuals. Each individual in a team must:
- be a US citizen or a legal resident of the US at all times during the Competition and the time of fulfillment of the prize;
- be a current Bachelors and Masters students at one of the following participating Universities, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, or University of Illinois-Urbana, at all times during the Competition and at the time of fulfillment of the prize;
- not be an employee, agent, affiliate, officer or director of BP plc, Publicis Consultants US Limited or of any advertiser, promotion agency, fulfillment agency or agent of BP plc, or of anyone else professionally connected with the Competition.
- A person may only enter the Competition once, as part of one single team.
- BP plc may require you to provide proof that you are eligible and the authorized account holder of the e-mail addresses used to enter the Competition. ‘Authorized account holder’ means the natural person to whom the e-mail address in question has been assigned by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the e-mail address.
- If you fail to provide all required information you may be disqualified.
- You may not enter using multiple e-mail addresses or as multiple participants. If you attempt to do so you may be disqualified from the Competition. Any use of electronic devices to enhance or alter your odds of winning will count as a false or deceptive entry and you will be disqualified.
- BP plc undertakes to use reasonable efforts to maintain adequate e-mail, internet and other communication links but is not otherwise responsible for and shall not be liable for: late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or unintelligible entries; telephone, electronic, hardware, or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, delays or difficulties; errors in transmission; prize notification deliveries attempted but not received; any loss suffered by anyone who enters or attempts to enter the Competition, whether the entry is lost, not submitted, wrongly processed or does not win.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- If you are disqualified, BP plc is under no obligation to publish this fact on the BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website or anywhere else.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. BP plc reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entries.
- The contact details you provide with your Competition entry will be used to notify you of any prizes so please make sure they are correct.
- You are not entitled to enter the Competition if you are resident in a country or jurisdiction (outside the United States) where a Competition may breach any law or regulation. Where this applies, BP plc’s invitation to enter a Competition in such country and/or jurisdiction is withdrawn.
- All entries must be submitted in the name of a team consisting of 3 individuals who are each eligible to enter under these General Rules and the prize can only be awarded to the team and individuals whose details are submitted on the relevant entry form.
- You can enter online by completing the registration process outlined on the BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website. If required you must confirm your entry by clicking on the ‘CONFIRM COMPETITION ENTRY’. However, BP plc will be under no obligation to send a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of any entry.
- Entries to the Competition can be submitted at any time from February 18th, 2013 up to midday on March 15th, 2013.
- All entries will become the property of BP plc on its receipt of them and will not be returned. Entrants hereby assign to BP plc all worldwide copyright and like intellectual property rights in their entries and waive all moral rights.
- Each member of the winning team will win a two-week experience within one of BP’s businesses. The program will take place during the university summer vacation period in 2013 between the dates and at the locations specified by BP plc. During the field trip, which will be based at BP’s offices, members of the winning team will:
- Work on a real project upon which business decisions will be made;
- Experience the range of operations in BP’s businesses;
- Be mentored by BP professionals.
- All taxes, insurances, spending money and other expenses (including personal expenses, upgrades etc.) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winners.
- Due to the nature of the prize on offer some elements of the prize actually awarded may differ from that shown in order to take account of events or circumstances outside of BP plc’s reasonable control and which could not reasonably have been foreseen. However, in such circumstances BP plc will make every effort to ensure that any substitute prize is of equal or greater value to that described on the BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website and in these Official Rules.
- The Prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
How to win
- The Competition will be run in three stages:
- During the first stage all valid entries will be selected to progress to Stage 2. The shortlists will be announced in the middle of March 2013.
- Shortlisted teams will then be selected from Stage 2 to progress to the campus finals, where they will be required to make a 10 minute presentation to the panel of judges and a more detailed Q&A session, which will take place from March 25th — 29th, 2013.
- Up to a total of 4 teams will then be selected for entry into the national final. The winning team will then be selected at the national final on April 22nd. Selection at each stage will be by a panel of judges which will contain industry experts.
- Entries will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Whether they contain innovative thinking and original ideas;
- Whether any recommendation is commercially feasible by 2030
- Their quality of thought and presentation;
- The rationale behind them and any ideas that were decided against;
- Whether individuals have worked well together as a team.
- If at any stage in the Competition a winning team is disqualified from the Competition or all members of a winning team decline or fail to properly claim their prize or cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by BP plc, that winning team will forego the right to progress to the next stage or claim the prize (as applicable) and BP plc at its sole discretion may arrange for a replacement winning entry to be selected by the panel of judges.
- Members of the winning team will be required to enter into a standard contract of employment for a BP Internship and to undergo BP’s standard vetting and medical checks in order to claim their prize and participate in the internship program. Members of the winning team may also be required to sign affidavits of eligibility (both eligibility to enter the Competition and win and eligibility to receive and use the prize lawfully), liability releases and, except where prohibited by law, publicity releases and return these within 28 days.
- In the event that:
- Such affidavits and releases are not signed; and/or
- It transpires that an individual from the winning team is not eligible to enter the Competition and win, or cannot lawfully use, participate in or benefit from the prize; and/or
- Any prize notification is returned as undeliverable; and/or
- An individual from the winning team cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by BP plc; and/or
- An individual from the winning team otherwise declines or fails to properly claim his or her prize within 28 days of notification or fails to complete any vetting and/or medical checks to BP plc’s reasonable satisfaction. The individual concerned will be disqualified from the Competition and will be deemed to have foregone their right to claim the prize. However, the disqualification of any one individual from the winning team will not prevent other members of the winning team who fully comply with these Official Rules from claiming their prize.
- Prizes are awarded at BP plc’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. BP plc reserves the right to disqualify any entry or any individual member of a team if it has reasonable grounds to believe that an entry or an individual has breached any of the Official Rules.
- Any decision of the panel of judges in relation to the awarding of prizes will be final. In all other cases, the decision of BP plc will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
- Except in respect of death or personal injury caused by the negligence of BP plc, BP plc expressly disclaims any responsibility and each participant hereby agrees to release and to hold BP plc (and its employees, officers, directors, agents, marketing partners and affiliates) harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with any prize or resulting from the delivery, acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse of any prize. BP plc (and its employees, officers, directors, agents, marketing partners and affiliates) is not responsible for any condition caused by events beyond the control of BP plc that may cause the Competition to be disrupted.
- The Promoter is BP plc. Any information or data you provide on this website will be managed by BP plc as detailed in these Official Rules. BP plc is registered in England, company number: 102498 registered office: 1 St James's Square, London, SW1Y 4PD.
- This Competition and Official Rules will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. The BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition US Website is only intended to be accessed from the United States. BP plc makes no representation that materials on the BP Ultimate Field Trip Competition Website relating to this Competition are appropriate or available for use at other locations and access to them from territories where their contents are illegal is strictly prohibited. If you access the site outside of the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all local laws.
- BP plc may process your personal data itself or through data processors who will process data on its behalf but in either case BP plc will remain responsible for ensuring your personal data is processed in accordance with BP’s Privacy Statement these Official Rules and all relevant data protection regulations.
- BP plc will only use your personal data: fairly and lawfully; as set out in the Official Rules and/or the Privacy Statement; and to the extent necessary for the purposes of the Competition, including arranging your receipt of and/or participation in the prize.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and BP plc reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity. Winners may be required to take part in further reasonable promotional activities.
- We will ensure that your personal data is not used if we know that it is not accurate and up to date and we will not keep it for longer than necessary. Data relating to entrants will be retained by BP plc for a reasonable period of time after the promotion closes to assist BP plc in operating promotions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries relating to the promotion.
- The winning team’s name and each team member’s name, college attended and degree studied will be included on the BP Find The Energy Promotion Website and other websites on which the promotion was featured.