Refining

Our refined products

Petrol sold in Australia is either refined from crude oil in Australian refineries or imported as a finished product from overseas. 

We refine crude oil at the Kwinana Refinery in Western Australia and the Bulwer Island Refinery in Queensland. Crude oil is shipped from locations including, the Middle East, West Africa, New Zealand, Indonesia and north-west Australia.

In 2012 – 13, Australian refineries supplied around 63 per cent of total Australian demand for petroleum products. The remaining 37 per cent of demand was met by imports. These imported products were sourced from over 20 countries, mainly from Asia.

Products manufactured at our refineries include:
  • petrol: unleaded, premium unleaded, BP Ultimate (Kwinana only) and BP Opal (Kwinana only)
  • diesel fuels
  • aviation fuels, including jet fuel and aviation gasoline
  • bitumen
  • fuel oil
  • hydrogen
  • kerosene
  • autogas, including propane and butane

Kwinana Refinery

Located approximately 35 kilometres south-west of Perth, the Kwinana Refinery started operations in 1955. It is the only oil refinery in Western Australia and, with a crude refining capacity of 146 KBD, it is the largest oil refinery in Australia.

The refinery employs about 450 staff and, when in steady-state operations, about 400 contractors. On-going investment in refining technology has resulted in it being Australia’s most flexible refinery, capable of producing cleaner fuels such as BP Ultimate. 

Through manufactured products or imports, the refinery supplies most of Western Australia’s fuel needs. 

Opal fuel

The refinery team developed and produces Opal fuel, which is a low-aromatic unleaded petrol which has been a success factor in reducing petrol sniffing in remote communities.

Bulwer Island Refinery

Bulwer Island Refinery is located in Brisbane, Queensland. It was built in 1965 by Amoco and was acquired by us in 1984. The refinery has a capacity of 101,000 barrels of oil per day.

In steady-state operations there are some 380 BP staff and a similar number of contractors employed.