BP’s support for the National Guard, Reserve and other veterans
BP is proud to support U.S. military veterans as they transition back into civilian society. The company also believes that hiring veterans is good business, because BP’s values of safety, respect, excellence, courage and teamwork align with the armed forces’ core principles. As an employer, BP offers excellent benefits and policies that promote service in the Guard and Reserve, and the Department of Defense has honored the company for these efforts. In the U.S., employees receive differential pay and continued health coverage during periods of qualifying military leave. Like all BP employees, they also have access to short-term counseling and can get referrals to address personal and professional challenges. The company provides additional assistance to military families through its participation in the Hiring Our Heroes initiative, which helps veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses find meaningful employment. BP’s partners in this nationwide program include other businesses, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation and the U.S. departments of Labor, Defense and Veteran Affairs. BP also has joined with private companies, government agencies and nonprofit organizations to launch the Coalition for Veteran Owned Business. This initiative helps such businesses (including those operated by military spouses) find important information about education, resources, supplier opportunities and more.
Military placement programme
Integrated supply and trading (IST) has developed a placement program that gives top military leavers the opportunity to gain commercial experience within our organization. If successful in gaining a place on the program, you’ll complete a six month paid placement in which you’ll receive all the training and development you’ll need to deliver
Supporting veterans’ recovery through sports
BP is proud to support Team USA Paralympians and the Warrior Games. As the Official Energy Partner of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic teams, BP has been helping enhance awareness of para-athletic sports by providing equipment and raising money through our work with local community Paralympic Sport Clubs. BP recently announced a $160,000 donation for the nation’s first official U.S. Paralympic training site for wheelchair racing at the University of Illinois. Since 2011, BP-branded retailers in 13 states have donated more than $900,000 to local Paralympic Sport Clubs. BP has supported the U.S. Olympic Committee and U.S. athletes through a variety of activities. This includes sponsoring the Warrior Games, a premier sports event for wounded, ill or injured U.S. military veterans and active-duty service members.
Over the years, BP has also supported the Team Semper Fi during the Marine Corps Marathon and sponsored Valor Games Midwest.
Recognition of BP's commitment
BP is honored to have been recognized for our efforts in supporting veterans both inside and outside of the company.
- In 2016, BP was honored to be recognized as a Military Friendly Employer in GI Jobs Magazine.
- U.S. Veterans Magazine named BP a 2015 “Best of the Best” Top Veteran-Friendly Companies for the second time.
- BP has also been named a 2015 ESGR Secretary of Defense Freedom Award Finalist.
- BP America was named as one of three 2015 ESGR Pro Patria Award winners in the state of Texas.
- BP recently renewed its statement of support with the Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). ESGR, an office of the U.S. Department of Defense, promotes cooperation and understanding between reserve service members and their civilian employers.
- In 2014, the Texas Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve gave their “Above and Beyond Award” to BP America for the company’s exceptional support of employees still serving in the National Guard and Reserve.
- In 2013, the USOC recognized BP’s commitment to U.S. Paralympics with its Paralympic Amazing Impact Award, an honor given annually to organizations that raise awareness and support for the U.S. Paralympic movement.
View BP's commitment to veterans infographic
Based on shared values of safety, respect, excellence, courage and one team, BP is proud to stand by U.S. veterans.