Competition for 2010 to 2012 BP Renegades commemorative T-shirt design
Release date: 24 August 2009
BP Trinidad and Tobago LLC (bpTT) is in the process of planning celebrations to mark an historic milestone in the company’s enduring relationship with the BP Renegades Steel Orchestra.
2011 will mark 40 years of bpTT’s support and sponsorship of the BP Renegades Steel Orchestra and, by extension, our long-standing commitment to the development of steelpan talent and the showcasing of Trinidad and Tobago’s national instrument locally and internationally.
As we prepare to celebrate this 40-year anniversary over a three-year period, we are seeking designs that will visually interpret our journey with the band as they have continued to develop and excel over the years.
BPTT has traditionally invited several artists to tender for each year’s T-shirt design, however, this year we would like to receive an interpretive T-shirt design trilogy from final-year students of local undergraduate visual arts or design programmes or from artists who would have graduated from an undergraduate visual arts or design programme within the last five years.
This competition is intended to provide support to emerging artists in the early stages of their careers. The competition will provide a creative platform for the creative talent of the country’s up-and-coming artists and will give the winning artist a visible and widely distributed ‘canvas’ on which to display his/her work.
T-shirt design criteria
We are seeking an interpretive T-shirt design trilogy that meets the following criteria:
- A single trilogy design and theme that has three separate executions for primary use on the front of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 BP Renegades Carnival T-shirts.
- The Renegades is one of the leading steelbands in Trinidad and Tobago and the band won its first Panorama competition in 1982. Since then, the band has won the Panorama competition nine times. Only one other band has surpassed this record. Renegades is also the only band in the history of Panorama to have won the title for three consecutive years.
- The trilogy design should visually interpret the band’s rich history, its role in the East Port of Spain and the wider national community, the evolution of its music and its achievements over the years.
- The design should celebrate, through its interpretation, the strength and character of the BP Renegades Steel orchestra which has risen from rebelliousness and notoriety to one of the most-internationally toured steel orchestras.
- The three separate executions/ applications for each year’s T-shirt should depict a story in sequence. One example would be a trilogy design that represents ‘the past, present and the future’ of the band.
- The three individual executions for the T-shirts must all be linked to the overall creative concept and design.
- The design must be visually appealing, unique and ‘stage-worthy’ for the players Panorama and international performances.
- Artists are free to recommend an appropriate treatment or inclusion of the name ‘BP Renegades’ in the design for the front of the T-shirts.
- The bpTT logo will be printed on the back-centre of the T-shirts and therefore does not need to be incorporated into the trilogy design. BPTT has very strict rules governing the use of its logo and we therefore recommend that artists do not attempt to interpret bpTT’s relationship with the band by incorporating the Helios into the design.
- Artists need not be guided or restricted by previous BP Renegades T-shirt designs. This competition is inviting new, fresh and creative interpretations of the BP Renegades.
- Our preference is for the design to use vibrant colour and not for a black and white or single colour design. This is a preference of the company but black and white and single-colour designs will also be considered.
Entering the competitionThe 2010 to 2012 BP Renegades T-shirt design competition is open only to the following two groups:
- Final-year students currently enrolled in an undergraduate visual arts or design degree programme at a local University or tertiary-level institution. Entrants in this category must submit a letter from the University confirming their enrollment in the programme with their entry package.
- Artists who have graduated from a visual arts or design programme at a local University within the last five years (graduating class of 2004) and are now the holders of an undergraduate degree in visual arts or design. Entrants in this category must submit a copy of their degree with their entry package.
- Collaboration in this competition is welcome and design teams comprised of individuals from the above two categories will be allowed to submit entries.
- Each individual artist/ design team is allowed to submit a total of two interpretive design trilogies for consideration.
- Artists/ design teams will be required to supervise the formatting of the design into the electronic format required for printing. BPTT has an advertising agency available for the electronic formatting of the design. The artist/ design team is also required to approve the final ‘proof’ of the 2010, 2011 and 2012 executions of the T-shirt design to ensure design authenticity in the printing process. Please note that all the T-shirts will be printed in November/ December of the preceding year (2010 T-shirts in November/ December 2009; 2011 T-shirts in November/ December 2010; and 2012 T-shirts in November/ December of 2011).
- All artists/ design teams must submit:
- Completed competition entry form. Click here to download.
- Five copies of each design trilogy
- A full description or narrative for each design trilogy
- Confirmation of University visual arts or design undergraduate programme enrollment or copy of visual arts or design University degree.
Timeline for entry submissions
All competition entries should be submitted by 5.00pm October 8, 2009 to:
The ManagerEntries received after 5.00pm October 8, 2009 will not be considered.
Communications and External Affairs
BP Trinidad and Tobago LLC
5-5A Queen’s Park West
Queen’s Park Plaza
Port of Spain
All entries will be judged by an independent design panel and the winning entry will be announced by November 5, 2009.
- Winning T-shirt design that is selected for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 BP Renegades T-shirts – artist/ design team will be awarded a total of TT$30,000.00.
- T-shirt designs that place second and third in the competition – each artist/ design team will be recognized with an award of TT$5000.00.
The first place prize of TT$30,000 for the design trilogy selected will represent bpTT’s full purchase of the exclusive rights for the use of the design on the T-shirt and other branded material.
If you have any questions or require additional information on the competition you can email:
Additional information on the BP Renegades is also available in the book ‘Renegades: The History of the Renegades Steel Orchestra of Trinidad and Tobago’ published by Macmillan Caribbean and available for purchase in local bookstores.