Thunder Horse is believed to be the largest discovery to date in the Gulf of Mexico and is being developed via the world's largest semi-submersible floating production and drilling facility. The facility has a capacity of 250,000 barrels per day of liquids and 200 million cubic feet per day of natural gas.
Thunder Horse is brought ashore to the Louisiana coast as a new grade. Two segments of the Mardi Gras Transportation System transport oil production from the Thunder Horse field to market. Proteus Oil Pipeline, the 28-inch deepwater portion of the system, extends 70 miles from the Thunder Horse platform to a booster station platform installed on South Pass Block 89. From there, Proteus connects to Endymion Oil Pipeline, a 90 mile, 30-inch system extending to Clovelly, LA, where it connects with the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP) storage and offloading facilities. There is approximately 1.8 million barrels of storage dedicated to Thunder Horse at the LOOP facilities. From LOOP, Thunder Horse crude may be transported to refineries in Louisiana, Texas, the mid-continent and the Midwest through connecting lines via the Locap, Equilon, Norco and CAM systems. Combined, Proteus and Endymion will have an initial capacity of 420,000 bpd.
BP is operator of the project with 75% equity interest. The remaining 25% is owned by Exxon Mobil.