First Aid Measures
Avoid unnecessary contact and minimise the release of vapours. If some product does come into contact with either the eyes or skin, or is inhaled or ingested, follow the instructions below:
- Avoid contact with the skin – wear protective clothing.
- Do not inhale the vapour.
- Do not use your mouth to siphon products.
- Do not wear clothing that has become contaminated with petroleum products.
- Avoid contact with the eyes – wear eye goggles if there is a risk of product splashing.
Personal Protective Equipment (referred to as PPE), such as goggles and gloves, should be used when handling BP products. Care should also be taken to keep products contained, to avoid unnecessary contact and to minimise the release of vapours.
- Wash the eye thoroughly with copious quantities of water, ensuring eyelids are held open.
- Obtain medical advice if any pain or redness develops.
- Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water as soon as practicable. Remove heavily contaminated clothing and wash underlying skin.
- Seek medical advice is skin becomes red, swollen or painful.
- If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Give a glass of water and contact a doctor or the National Poisons Centre on 03 474 7000.
- If inhalation of mists, fumes or vapour causes irritation to the nose or throat, or coughing, remove to fresh air.
- If exposure to vapour, mists or fumes causes drowsiness, headache, blurred vision or irritation of the eyes, nose or throat, remove immediately to fresh air.
- Keep patient warm and rested.
- If symptoms persist seek medical advice.
For more information contact the BP Helpline on 0800 800 027