Air BP’s environmental solutions can provide you with the answers airlines need. Working with you to ensure compliance with environmental legislation. Developing innovative solutions to reduce consumption, provide alternative fuels and neutralise emissions.
For the aviation industry, biojet is the only alternative to jet fuel. To date, the industry as a whole has flown over 100,000 flights with biojet fuel. And demand is expected to continue to grow as the price differential to regular jet fuel decreases. Biojet is a jet fuel made from sustainable material (solid household waste, recycled cooking oil etc) which reduces the amount of crude oil we consume and produces lower lifecycle CO2 emissions compared to conventional jet fuel. A 50% biofuel-jet fuel mix can provide approximately a 35% reduction in CO2 emissions depending on the feedstock, the production method, and the supply chain to the airport. Biojet blended with regular fuel is approved for use in jet engines. No technical changes to aircraft are required. Air BP markets an approved biojet fuel, BP Biojet, which is currently available at a number of airports in the Nordics. Air BP was the first operator to supply renewable jet fuel through an airport hydrant fuelling system as part of normal operations at Oslo Airport in 2016.
- Provides marketing value – increased customer loyalty.
- Demonstrates commitment to IATA to support carbon neutral growth.
- Provides a differentiated product to encourage passengers to fly with you.
- Flights powered on biojet may be exempt from EU ETS.
Voluntary carbon offsetting
BP Target Neutral offers a best-in-class carbon management and offsetting programme allowing you to calculate your carbon emissions using our carbon footprint calculator and offset them through a range of environmental projects.
- Offers you the tools to reduce your emissions and support your reputation.
- Offers you a tailored suite of best-in-class environmental projects that enable you to build community and stakeholder support.
- Cost effective carbon offsetting.
- Allows you to visit the projects that you support through your offsets.
Emissions trading service (EU ETS)
BP is one of the largest emissions traders globally and can offer a full range of solutions to help you comply with carbon cap and trade schemes. BP pioneered global emissions trading, launching a BP Group wide scheme in 2000, trading the first EU allowance in 2005.
- Access to the lowest cost compliance units (including CERs and EUAA).
- The ability to help achieve cost certainty through hedging of future allowance exposure.
- The ability to optimise cash flow by monetising your free surplus allowances.
Business case Environmental topics are becoming increasingly important for the industry. The recent historic Paris agreement on climate change is leading the way with 195 nations setting a path to keep temperature rise below 2 degrees celsius. The global business aviation operating and manufacturing communities (IBAC* and GAMA*) support the following environmental targets from ICAO: - 50% reduction in total emissions by 2050 relative to 2015 - 2% improvements in fuel efficiency on average per year from today until 2020 - Carbon neutral growth by 2020 Air BP aims to be at the forefront of solution development to help the industry achieve these environmental goals.*IBAC – International Business Aviation Council ; GAMA – General Aviation Manufacturers Association.