In October 2019, Xin Feng Ming Group (Xinfengming) and BP celebrated the successful start-up of the Dushan Energy PTA project, a major industrial project in Zhejiang Province that is deploying BP's bpPTAg4 purified terephthalic acid (PTA) technology. Working in close collaboration, BP’s highly capable team and Xinfengming project team delivered the start-up in 28 months after the original kick off with a successful, one button start-up.
The plant is already producing product recognized by downstream plants for the manufacture of essential polyester goods.
It is also the first 308 tonnes per hour plant to operate BP’s PTA technology.
Xinfengming is currently building a second PTA manufacturing unit to deploy BP’s technology, expected to start-up towards the end of 2020.
The key characteristics of the technology deployed in the Xinfengming unit have been proven at BP’s Zhuhai plant:
- Based on internal comparisons with conventional PTA technology1, there are significant reductions in both operational costs and capital costs, leading to high investment returns
- The electricity generated by the Zhuhai plant as a result of applying BP’s technology is expected to result in a surplus that can be transmitted to the external power grid, supporting the energy needs of the local community
- BP's anaerobic waste water technology allows for increased treatment capacity
- Its world-class compression process reduces land use3
- The Zhuhai plant and technology have been recognized for environmental performance, including several Chinese government awards and, in July 2019, being named ‘Energy and Efficiency Front Runner’ and ranked first in China for PTA manufacturing by the China Petroleum and Chemical Industry Federation2
1. Derived from BP’s internal analysis Evaluating Energy Processing Technology, conducted in 2016. Data in this internal analysis was derived from BP’s actual operating data from six of its PTA manufacturing facilities.
2. China Petroleum and Chemical Industry Federation, July 25th, 2019 list and indicators of energy efficiency ‘Front Runner’ of key energy-consuming products in the petroleum and chemical industry.
3. Plot plant efficiency of Zhuhai PTA #3 is 94 kilo tonnes per square metre compared to 22 kilo tonnes per square metre for Zhuhai#1 PTA unit.