Clear and accurate description of the role i.e. business context, why the job exists, purpose of the role. The Role Synopsis is a brief statement to determine:
- The job and its purpose – Why does the job exist?
- Desired strategic outcome of the position – What is the job intended to achieve?
- Where the job fits into the organisation’s goals – What impact does the role have on bp’s business?
Exactly what the position is required for – How does it impact bp’s business?
Digital Customers & Markets (DCM) works with customers & products (C&P), gas & low carbon energy (G&LCE), trading & shipping (T&S) and regions, cities & solutions (RC&S), and focus on enabling and delivering amazing customer experiences that generate value for bp in current and new markets.
DCM Intelligent operations (IO) bridges the gap between bp’s physical and digital worlds to release value and enable world-class operations through deployment of new and emerging digital solutions. Our SMEs and partners work closely with our business units to ensure safe, efficient, and optimized operations and great customer experiences.
At DCM IO we have embarked on a very exciting journey with a pipeline of leading-edge programmes of work in the field of automation, Internet of Things (IoT) and Edge Vision to name a few. We are building platforms for the future and products focused on these technologies and more. We plan to build a Centre Of Excellence (COE) in Pune that will build and house essential digital capabilities, innovative solutions, toolsets required to deliver products for our customers thereby driving bp’s digital agenda.
Architecture solves big complex challenges with our data and technology expertise to help BP advance a lower carbon future. We collaboratively work together to meet our customer’s needs. Architects connect all the digital disciplines and the consumers and procurers of technology, to create an integrated, flexible, effective digital architecture for bp.
The IoT Architect role is an exciting new opportunity in the DCM IO Team, where we deliver digital solutions to engage our customers, improve the operational management of our production equipment and support business development in new markets. It will involve working on solutions across a wide range of business verticals including new emerging markets including our hydrogen and wind, green cities, retail, Castrol and trading & shipping businesses.
- Team: You will work in a team of architects across a business area delivering tangible business value
- Architecture: You understand the end to end technologies of IOT, allowing you to develop solution architectures for automation projects. You will also contribute to the development of common IOT patterns and reference architectures.
- Relationships: You will understand the objectives of the business you work with and our key technology platforms. You will build strong relationships with other delivery teams inside bp working closely with the Product Teams , Data Teams and IoT Platform teams.
- Technology: You have a passion for understanding and learning. You will bring good hands-on skills in architecting, designing, and building application and services, and an ability to rapidly assess new technologies and vendors offerings within the IoT architecture landscape with a commercial mindset.
- Evangelist: You will be an IoT evangelist, explaining the different opportunities to drive adoption of IoT capability.
- Safety and Compliance: Safety of our people and our customers is our highest priority. We will advocate and help ensure our architectures, designs and processes enhance a culture of operational safety and improve our digital security.
- A Bachelor's (or higher) degree, ideally in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics, hard science, or equivalent work experience.
- Bachelor's degree with business & digital acumen
Essential Experience and Job Requirements:
- Proven hands-on software design and delivery experience, specifically: application architectures, database architecture, data platforms, networking, and security
- A confirmed grasp of software development and design thinking in an agile environment. You understand and advocate continuous delivery pipelines and DevOps. Hands on experience in delivery using CI/CD pipelines is a big plus.
- Deep experience in cloud technologies: AWS or Azure focusing on data platforms, streaming technologies and, ideally, cloud based IOT services
- Good understanding of IoT end to end, covering sensors, edge compute, networking and data analytics.
- Knowledge of IOT based local area networks. Useful technologies include: LoRaWAN, BLE & Zigbee
- Experience of best deployment of edge compute
Desirable criteria are those that may enable the candidate to perform better & qualifications or require a shorter familiarisation period. During the selection process evidence should be sought to gain an understanding of the extent to which candidates who satisfied the minimum criteria demonstrate the desired criteria for the role. This evidence will then allow differentiation between the candidates and form the basis for selection.
- Hands-on experience in configuring IoT Devices/Gateways/Platforms
- Programming experience
- Novel sensor approaches
- Digital twins
- AWS / Azure Architect certifications
- TOGAF Certification