bp’s ambition is to become a net-zero company by 2050 or sooner. It is supported by specific aims related to methane, including Aim 4: install methane measurement at our major oil and gas processing sites by 2023, publish the data, and then drive a 50% reduction in methane intensity in our operations.
Being the second-most important of the greenhouse gases, with a short-lived but high warming impact, methane has emerged as an increasingly important focus area for society, industry, and external stakeholders. The case for gas in a low emissions world is inherently linked to the ability to manage methane, with high leakage rates destroying the business case for gas.
About the opportunity:
We now have an excellent opportunity for a Carbon Advisor - Methane to join our experienced team and contribute to our long-term results.
This role is key to bp meeting and managing our internal delivery, our external engagements, and overall performance management of methane. The role is multi-faceted and therefore may be suitable for a diverse range of candidates with complementary skillsets (e.g., technical, technology, process engineering, project management) where the candidate can develop new skills as well as strengthen existing ones.
This is an equally challenging and rewarding role, directly contributing to successful delivery of bp’s leadership in methane. Addressing a global challenge, it requires working closely with other businesses and functions, our non-operated joint ventures, as well as key external parties.
About the role
In more detail, as a Carbon Advisor - Methane, you will have the exciting opportunity to:
- Provide technical support and guidance to leadership, operations, and other businesses across all of bp through technical analysis, scientific reviews, insights, and assessments to help shape and deliver bp’s methane agenda.
- Support the assessment, piloting, and deployment of methane detection, quantification, and reduction technologies.
- Lead bp representation in global external methane initiatives ensuring bp suitably influences, guides and leverages learnings to align with internal goals or supports mitigation of risks therein.
- Provide technical guidance and support to bp policy teams with initial focus on Washington and Brussels.
- Provide technical assurance of methane data as used in GHG reporting and in internal and external publications.
- Support the development and roll-out of methane training material to build awareness and methane capability across bp.
The key challenges are:
- Leveraging selective knowledge and learning from peers and others in a time efficient, constructive, and informative fashion.
- Remaining connected and updated in a dynamically changing methane space – internally and externally.
- Understanding and interpreting emerging methane risks to bp ahead of regulations and changes.
- Working effectively and efficiently across the wider methane team, specifically Innovation & Engineering, bpX, and Production & Operations bp Solutions.
You will have a BA/BSc degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Physical Sciences or Environmental Sciences.
Essential experience and job requirements:
It would also be essential that you have:
- Strong relevant industry experience with proven competencies in project management and/or operations.
- Deep technical expertise in carbon or methane management, or similar.
- Proven track record of successful performance management and delivery of carbon or methane activities, or similar.
- Proven ability to integrate delivery across multi-disciplinary teams and across internal organisational boundaries.
- Excellent communication skills with experience in building successful relationships with internal and external stakeholders and in reaching agreement on complex issues.
- Ability to influence a variety of stakeholders and adapt approaches to generate buy-in from different audiences, internal and external to the company.
It would also be useful, but not vital, that you have:
- Experience of representation at industry organizations.
- Proven ability to lead technical contributions in external meetings.
- Experience in applying and assuring compliance with regulations.
- Proactivity and ability to work to achieve agreed outcomes.
Why join us?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to crafting an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, collaboration spaces in a modern office environment, life & health insurance, medical care package, and many others benefits!
Reinvent your career as you help our business meet the challenges of the future. Apply now!