Responsible for providing support in the identification and development of new business opportunities, monitoring economic and market trends, contributing to the successful development of offers and delivering technical and economic evaluation and investment appraisal, in order to help achieve bp's growth objectives.
At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. A career in gas & low carbon energy is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in supporting bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our CCS projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
CCS (Carbon Capture & Storage) is a core part of bp's energy transition strategy and widely regarded as a key tool for the global pathway to net zero.
Do you want to be part of a collaborative team leading the way in making energy cleaner and better?
About the role
The CCS specialist will provide guidance to business development teams on the technical aspects of CCS project delivery. This role will make and handle interfaces with technical experts in bp's enabling functions. You will help shape commercial opportunities, working to create and develop decarbonized energy hubs.
Your key accountabilities are:
- Work alongside commercial and technical teams to shape concepts for CCS projects.
- Co-ordinate risk assignment and management between bp functional teams and hold central oversight of aggregated business risk.
- Provide technical support to develop standards and regulations.
- Identify technology needs and priorities and provide sponsoring business interface with I&E.
- Educate external and internal groups on the opportunities, challenges and processes of CCS. Lead the creation of education materials working with C&A.
- Represent bp in relevant trade associations (e.g., OGCI, IOGP, GCCSI, IEAGHG, ZEP, CCSA, WBCSD, SMI). Help direct efforts toward key industry challenges and solutions that will create bp opportunity.
A bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant subject area is required.
Experience matters. CCS experience in an academic or commercial setting is a must. We are looking for someone with curiosity and an ability to identify the potential impacts of inter-dependencies between diverse influences on business outcomes. This is a people-centric role where your excellent networking capability and inter-personnel skills can reap rewards - for our business and employees.
It's also important to have:
- Ability to work on and lead multiple simultaneous projects and achieve successful outcomes.
- Proactive and able to work to achieve agreed outcomes
- A broad understanding of the science of climate change and the technologies that can be used to transition toward a low carbon economy.
- Knowledge of the scope of CCS and its applicability to power systems, hydrogen and hydrogen derivatives, energy intensive industries, heat and bioenergy.
- Accomplished communication and influencing skills with both internal and external partners.
Having technical depth in subsurface carbon storage and an awareness of subsurface uncertainty and risk management can be advantageous to the role.
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options (60/40 hybrid model), a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among!