At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. A career with us is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in support bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our CCUS projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
The Commercial Developer is responsible for exploring and developing new business opportunities, managing the successful development of offers, building strong and effective relationships with appropriate partner/supplier contacts and project managing specific elements of strategic projects, whilst exercising a sound combination of commercial and technical rigor to help achieve bp's growth objectives.
As the CCUS Commercial Developer in Gas & Low Carbon Energy (G&LCE), you will work in a multi-disciplinary squad to help reshape bp’s business. The squad activity will be at the heart of bp’s strategy implementation, driving growth through delivering new low carbon investments.
As a part of the squad, you will be responsible for delivering our recently announced project in the USGC and building out our broader US portfolio. The role will involve working across bp businesses and functions including subsurface, Trading & Shipping, Production & Operations as well as external counterparties and is a fantastic opportunity to drive the energy transition with an innovative world-leading energy company.
In this role, you will originate opportunities, structure deals and negotiate contractual agreements with third parties including term-sheets, definitive agreements, joint venture frameworks and other such transactions.
You will be accountable for:
- Identifying and developing new opportunities for CCUS, prioritize options and executing deals.
- Work as part of a cross-discipline project development team to progress projects from concepts through to implementation
- Progress deals through governance and approval process, interacting with bp decision makers as needed
- Collaborate with and manage working relationships with different parts of the bp organization including legal, tax, treasury, M&A, engineering, subsurface and projects
- Support commercial needs of the broader G&LCE portfolio as needed
- Commercial analysis and optimization of opportunities within the broader framework of the portfolio
- Support team in the development of external relationships to grow deal hopper
- Share knowledge and key learnings on subject matter with broader CCUS team
You will have a bachelor’s degree in any engineering, science, technology, business or finance discipline; MBA is desirable. A minimum of 10+ years of energy project development experience from early-stage ideas generation through to project execution and eventual operation is required. The successful candidate will have a track record of originating opportunities, commercial negotiations of large transactions with some experience in joint venture, partnership formation. Contractual experience, preferably with “first-of-a-kind” contract development is vital to the role.
It’s important that you have:
Why join us
- Knowledge and understanding of the CCUS or low carbon energy sectors
- Ability to operate effectively internally and across functional boundaries
- Ability to operate externally to represent bp with industry and build external relationships
- Ability to collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Leadership skills and deep interest in low carbon energy transition
- Ability to contribute to the development and negotiation of commercial structures
- Ability to simplify, progress and resolve challenging issues and create business cases
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options (60/40 hybrid model), a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!