Trading & Shipping (T&S) is BP's face to the traded markets. T&S's role is to enhance BP Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control, compliance, risk analytics and management infrastructure.
The Commodity Risk Valuation team is a key middle-office and financial controls function supporting the Gas, Power, and NGL commercial trading business lines, ensuring activities are conducted within a robust control framework. The Senior Valuation Analyst position will report to the Senior Manager of Commodity Risk. This position is accountable for delivering creative solutions to facilitate achieving Central Valuation business goals while maintaining a strong control environment, supporting operations with primary functions including:
Candidate must have excellent communication skills, strong analytical mindset, IT expertise and possess an ability to coordinate efforts among many functional teams such as Commercial, IT, Settlements, Accounting & Reporting and Regional Commodity Risk teams. The candidate must also be innovative and deliver efficiencies, simplification and/or standardization in processes using new tools and technologies. The successful applicant will have a strong bias for performance and the ability to implement and support change, ensuring a consistently high standard of management information and control.
- Developing new tools leveraging technology to assist with risk analysis and reporting requirements, helping enable business decision making and commercial growth.
- Validating Gas and Power forward marks through Independent Price Verification process, supporting automation effort to modernize.
- Managing several controls in accordance with T&S level Operating Standards and Control Processes including, but not limited to, DOA monitoring, Out-of-Office deal-entry monitoring, P&L publishing and Annual Curve Review.
- Managing multiple projects and process change initiatives involving Central Valuations, collaborating across functions with stakeholders.
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Ensure curve validation review is performed in accordance with the Independent Price Verification policy, using enhanced analytics to support decision making
- Support End of Day processes, working with cross functionally and confirming all trader marks necessary are in the system timely
- Support multiple control monitoring processes including Delegation of Authorities (DOA) and adherence to trading limits, deal change/amendment requests, Out of Hours deal entry monitoring and annual curve review for liquidity.
- Partner with other areas of Commodity Risk and various functions to deliver time sensitive P&L and MI information
- Create, set-up, and maintain curves and mappings for all GPTA commodities including Gas, Power, and NGLs in multiple systems supporting daily downstream processes and business growth
- Ensure that data flows are reliable and consistent and assist with troubleshooting across functions when issues arise
- Support ad hoc requests and actively participate in team projects as presented throughout the year
- Liaise with IT to lead and manage process change, supporting improvement/simplification initiatives.
Essential Education:Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree focused on Finance, Economics, Data Science, Information Systems, Accounting or other quantitative field strongly preferred.Desirable criteria and qualifications
- Proficiency in advanced Excel/VBA/Python/Power BI/SQL/etc.
- Knowledge of mid-office control processes for Gas, Power, and/or NGL commodities.
- Strong analytical skills (ability to grasp and communicate complex trading concepts into their economic effects)
- Attention to detail (ability to work with detailed transactions and properly control, report and communicate trading activity)
- Ability to multitask and perform in a very deadline orientated environment
- Assertive, self-starter with a bias for action coupled with high integrity and confidence
- Ability to act quickly and decisively in a complex and changing environment, prioritize and cope with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Team player and eager to learn and teach in partnership with other team members
- Innovative thinker who explores solutions to perform processes better, faster, and more efficiently
- Champion change through visible and active commitment to drive the change process, while able to articulate the vision for change and engage with stakeholders to build alignment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Business experience in Commodity Risk, Financial Accounting and/or Control within a trading environment
- MBA or other financial certification including CFA, FRM, CPA.
- Understanding of Trading Industry & External Markets – Understanding of market terminology, knowledge of basic industry transactions, able to interpret & explain influencing market factors & their relationship to the fundamentals & financial results.
- Performance Reporting – Experience developing business specific KPIs and performance metrics. Ability to present large amount of data in concise manner, allowing the business to fully understand and enable decision making.
- Project management experience, with demonstrated capability to lead and deliver project initiatives across regional or global teams.
- Ability to independently devise innovative solutions to address complex business problems
- Technical expertise using Dataiku, Palantir
Responsible for supporting the implementation of the compliance framework to improve the effectiveness of financial controls, risk management and fraud policies, using sound technical capabilities to provide assurance, support the implementation of new control procedures and identify financial reporting risks.