Our purpose is to bring together people, energy and markets to power and navigate a changing world.
In a time of constant change and possibility we need new talent to pursue commercial opportunities, fueled by world-class insight and expertise. We’re always striving for more innovative digital solutions, sustainable outcomes and closer collaboration across our company and beyond, and you could be part of that too. Together we continue to grow as the world’s leading energy trader!
The Ethics & Compliance Manager is a key member of the Ethics & Compliance (“E&C”) Trading and Shipping (“T&S”) team supporting the Refining and products trading Americas (“RPTA”) business. As we reimagine BP this role will be instrumental in executing the compliance framework by ensuring the surveillance program is robust, delivering training on compliance topics in an innovative way and participating in trading, marketing and organization strategies by providing guidance to the business to ensure compliance with rules, regulations and internal policies and procedures.
The purpose of the Ethics & Compliance trading and shipping team is to promote compliance with externally defined laws and regulations, the bp Code of Conduct, Global Trading Guidelines and other internal bp policies and procedures, through the development, implementation and maintenance of a program consistent with Group Ethics & Compliance strategy.
- Knowledge of, or experience in the regulatory arena, with particular emphasis on compliance, control or legal matters
- Exposure and knowledge of the regulatory change is advantageous
- Demonstrated knowledge of exchange and/or CFTC regulatory required reporting
- Creating and managing compliance information & performance reporting showing integrity, courage and sound judgement about ethics and compliance
- Conduct proactive compliance risk assessments and reviews of trading activity, strategies and business communications in order to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations enacted by external regulatory authorities ane exchanges, as well as bp’s internal policies and procedures.
- Understand existing laws, rules and regulations impacting the Refining and products trading business while monitoring for developments, proposals and new regulatory requirements to assess potential impacts and participate in the implementation of systems, processes and procedures to meet these requirements.
- Actively participate in commercial team meetings in order to better understand strategies and be sought after as an expert for advice on ethics & compliance issues so as to facilitate the creation of a robust ethical and compliant culture.
- Manage cross-regional ethics & compliance projects and participate in cross-functional projects and working groups supporting the Refining and products trading business.
- Develop and deliver training sessions on ethics & compliance related topics and provide timely and accurate advice/guidance Refining and products trading business.
- Form strong working relationships with Commercial Teams, Legal, Regulatory Affairs, Commodity Risk, Finance, Innovation & Engineering, and Counterparty Due Diligence to facilitate strategic alignment and support of the overall E&C T&S Program.
Essential Experience and Job Requirements:
Technical and Professional Experience & Expertise:
- 5-10 years working in or supporting a Refining and products trading business
- Knowledge and understanding of traded products, markets and strategies, both physical and paper based trading
- Knowledge and understanding of regulations, exchange rules, relevant laws and internal policies
- Knowledge and understanding of ABC and AML compliance
- Ability to understand and synthesize legal and regulatory concepts and translate for business stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to apply these skills as all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills – capable of adopting a variety of styles to achieve the desired result
- Strong influencing, impacting and communication skills to engage up to SVP level, with the ability and self-confidence to respectfully challenge, seek pragmatic solutions and add value to complex issues
- Self-starter with advanced technical knowledge/experience and ability to operate with a high degree of autonomy utilizing effective prioritization, analytical problem-solving and planning skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to work creatively to achieve identified goals, both individually and as a team player working in a global role
- Problem-solving skills with ability to see the next step and follow through on operational detail
- Strong track record of exemplifying and role modeling the right values & behaviors
- Innovative, creative, and incisive, with excellent analytical, technical, reporting, and computing skills
- Support and delivery of training materials
Why join us:
At bp, we provide a great environment & benefits such as an inclusive culture, a great work-life balance, learning and development opportunities, life & health insurance, medical care package, and many others benefits!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.