This position has primary responsibility for the provision of legal services to the Terminals and Pipelines business as well as provide support to our US refineries and other businesses. .
The Counsel role is primarily responsible for providing strategic legal advice and counsel to the VP, Terminals and Pipelines the Leadership Team and Commercial Business Manager on key legal developments and issues affecting the US Pipelines and Logistics business and certain aspects of its MLP, BP Midstream Partners LP, including recommendation of legal strategy for management of key issues and to play an active role in the development and implementation of legally compliant and commercially focused business strategies. FERC experience and experience with MLPs would be helpful.
Reporting to the Managing Counsel – HSSE and Refining, this role is also responsible for identifying matters which require the services of specialist attorneys from HSSE Legal, Litigation, LEEB, Real Estate and Tax, and works closely with those specialists as a coordinator of the legal issues and risks facing the Terminals and Pipelines business in the U.S.
Essential experience and job requirements
7-10 years practicing law (in-house or external).
Proven ability to work with senior management on a strategic level.
Proven ability to work independently and as a part of a broader legal team.
Strong technical legal skills, combined with an ability to take a strategic view on the challenges and issues facing the pipelines' business.
At bp, we're reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, we're owning the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more balanced methods for solving the energy challenge.
We're a diverse team of engineers, scientists, and business professionals determined to find answers to problems that must be solved. But we know we can't do it alone. We need people today, and a future workforce, who will share our passion for reinvention, help us continue to evolve our capabilities and deliver on our purpose and Net Zero ambition.Key accountabilities
- Responsible for the performance and management of legal services to the US Terminals and Pipelines business.
- Serving as a member on the T&P Leadership Team with requisite skills to provide substantive input regarding legal, and non-legal issues as vital, such as leading people and advancing the business of T&P generally.
- Lead all aspects of various joint venture (JV) structures including corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and undivided joint interest holdings, including negotiating, drafting and crafting new joint venture arrangements.
- Handle all aspects of operated joint ventures and non-operated joint ventures (NOJVs).
- Negotiate and draft documents related to the T&P business including Efficiency and Deficiency Agreements, Terminal Agreements, Connection Agreements, and Tank and Storage Lease Agreements.
- Support the Right-of-Way and Land Team including assisting in negotiating, drafting and interpreting Easements, Leases, Licenses and Permitted Facilities Agreements, including advice regarding disputes with underlying landowners.
- Support T&P related to certain aspects of its MLP, BP Midstream Partners LP, especially regarding sales of assets or interests to its MLP and also related to the structure of T&P and its MLP and other general aspects of the MLP.
- Responsibilities include overall FERC compliance including related to internal safeguards and structure and advice regarding tariff and rate making strategy, and Open Seasons.
- Gain exposure to the U.S. Refining business through contract review and drafting including procurement, storage, off-take, and transportation agreements with third-party providers, as well as other commercial assignments.
- Develop positive relationships with and provide strategic and commercially focused legal advice to VP, Terminals & Pipelines and Leadership Team on key legal issues.
- Accountability for the legal advice and the advice provided by specialist and/or external lawyers on the relevant legal issues affecting the US Pipelines and Logistics business.
- Assist the Managing Counsel in implementing a clear legal strategy and common standards and processes across BP’s T&P, US Refining (the three US refineries at Cherry Point, Whiting and Toledo), , Procurement and Supply businesses.
- Working with Compliance & Ethics to help ensure effective implementation of the US Downstream compliance agenda within the T&P business.
- Proactively manage the legal budget associated with the T&P legal matters.
- Ability to effectively advise, and connect with, very senior BP executives regarding sophisticated legal matters.
- Demonstrated excellent performance in leading multiple high dollar value, high risk commercial projects to improve value and successfully manage business and legal risk, including various transactions related to joint ventures and joint venture creation
Degree in Law