Sitting within the bp trading & shipping (T&S) legal team in Singapore, this role will support bp’s refining and products trading (T&S RPT) business relating to China.
bp’s T&S business trades energy commodities across the globe including crude oil, refined products, gas, power and renewables, and China is a key market. This role provides a unique opportunity to support T&S’ diverse and exciting business, and play an active role in exploring strategic opportunities and navigating the legal and regulatory landscape in China.
Essential Education, Experience and Job Requirements
- Advising on PRC laws and regulations applicable to trading of crude oil, refined products, gas, power and carbon products, bilaterally or on exchanges.
- Supporting bespoke transactions and day to day trading activities. This would include advising on transaction structures and drafting and negotiating transaction documentation for complex trade financing arrangements, complex offtake and supply arrangements, paper trading activities and joint venture agreements.
- Advising on new projects and strategic initiatives including the expansion of the business in China.
- Advising on PRC local and national carbon trading schemes.
- Handling a variety of disputes relating to trading contracts and governmental and regulatory investigations.
- Working closely and establishing good working relationships with T&S legal colleagues in the other regions together with bp legal specialist teams and outside counsel.
- To work confidently and effectively with business and functional stakeholders with minimal supervision, but with the judgement to promptly inform and work with the Managing Counsel on more complex and sensitive matters.
- Overall, to be the first and key port of call for all legal and regulatory matters relating to China.
- Qualified to practice law in the PRC, with 7+ years post qualification experience.
- Substantial corporate and transactional experience in a top tier law firm.
- Pragmatic and able to work towards commercial and practical solutions.
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands, operate independently and effectively against short timelines and provide prompt and commercially focused advice.
- Excellent English and Mandarin language skills, including drafting.
- An ability to work internationally and with different cultures.
- Proven track record as an effective team player.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional working relationships and promote networking, open communication and effective collaboration.