bp Trading & Shipping (T&S) is bp’ s energy trading division, responsible for the physical and financial trading of oil, refined products, biofuels, gas, power, LNG and low carbon products. It is a friendly, exciting and dynamic organisation, and is bp’s face to the traded markets. Remaining compliant with financial services regulation is essential to T&S’s license to operate.
You will provide a unique opportunity to support T&S’ diverse and exciting business, navigating the complex financial regulatory landscape across different jurisdictions in the Asia Pacific region. You will also support T&S’ low carbon trading business, key to bp’s corporate purpose to reimagine energy.
Essential Education and Job Requirements
- Advising T&S businesses at all levels of the organisation (including senior management) on financial services regulations applicable to trading activities across the region, including in relation to:
- licensing restrictions on marketing and trading derivatives and other financial products;
- ongoing compliance requirements under the Australian Financial Services License;
- market abuse and other financial conduct matters;
- regulatory reporting;
- engagement with financial services regulators, including responding to regulatory queries or investigations.
- Monitoring and advising on regulatory change, including ensuring that bp understands and is able to implement the changes necessary to maintain compliance.
- Delivering or inputting into training on financial services regulatory issues and advising on new projects/ strategic initiatives including the expansion of the business.
- Supporting the low carbon trading team, including advising on:
- regulation of carbon products;
- new and existing carbon trading schemes in different jurisdictions;
- bespoke transaction structures, and drafting and negotiating transaction documentation for complex transactions such as financing and offtake arrangements.
- developments in the industry through participation in legal working groups and other forums.
- Working closely and establishing good working relationships with T&S legal colleagues in the other regions together with bp legal specialist teams and outside counsel.
- To work confidently and effectively with business and functional stakeholders with minimal supervision, but with the judgement to promptly inform and work with the Managing Counsel on more complex and sensitive matters.
- Overall, to be the first and key port of call for all financial services regulatory matters, as well as low carbon trading, in the region.
- 6+ years post qualification experience in financial services regulation.
- Financial services regulatory experience in a top tier international law firm and experienced advising on the regulation of OTC and exchange traded derivatives.
- Good understanding of financial regulations and experience in dealing with regulators such as ASIC (Australia), MAS (SG), SFC (HK), FCA (UK) and Bafin (Germany).
- Pragmatic and able to work towards commercial and practical solutions.
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands, operate independently and effectively against short timelines and provide prompt and commercially focused advice.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and ability to communicate complex regulations clearly and succinctly.
- An ability to work internationally and navigate different regulatory regimes.
- Proven track record as an effective team player and ability to demonstrate integrity, courage n sound ethical judgement
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional working relationships and promote networking, open communication and effective collaboration.