At bp, we’re reimagining energy for people and our planet. With operations working across almost every part of the energy system, we’re leading the way in reducing carbon emissions and developing more sustainable methods for solving the energy challenge.
Data managers have deep data domain knowledge and business context around data sources. Data managers set data standards, co-design data schemas, ensure quality at the source and write code to (semi-)automate manual data processes wherever possible. Data managers lead teams comprising of data engineers/scientists and collaborate with senior business collaborators
The enabler who is collaborating with Data Engineers, Performance Analysts, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, Architecture, Software Engineer, Architecture, Digital Security.The competency dimensions of a data manager are shown below with expectations explicitly called out for illustrative purposes:
- Data Domain Knowledge: Understanding in about 50% data domains within your business entity;
- Data Manipulation: You can cleanse, transform, reconcile, and standardize data by creating new or modifying existing scripts/automation as needed to ensure high quality data is available to meet business requirements. Work with business partners to coordinate data remediation plans to ensure data sets meet business requirements. You create advanced and reusable scripts and automation to wrangle data sets for use. You demonstrate knowledge of data models and business processes in at least one data domain. You upskill others in data manipulation standard methodologies.
- Right approach / tool choice: Understand a wide range of several commonly available Data Manager approaches and tools; you have an iterative mentality.
- Architectural Design: Provide content and input for data models and data integration as a result of understanding of multiple data domains; you validate the data architecture solution from a customer/consumption/usage viewpoint.
- Citizenship: Engage in honest conversations and encourage team members to ask questions and actively listen to concerns; you are inclusive & collect diverse set of opinions and ideas, seeking out the silent voice; You understand how your work with data impacts bp with respect to safety, financials, or other high value impacts. You start to identify continuous improvement opportunities to create safer operations, reduce cost, or other opportunities with data.
- Autonomy in problem identification and problem breakdown: End-to-end project ownership: you independently identify problems to be solved in your team / sub-area because of in-depth technical and business understanding; you can concretize vague, complex, and broad problems and break them down into practical sub-problems and tasks; you help get ready and concretize projects for more junior team members
- Commercial Acumen: Apply deep understanding of business operations and commercial factors to support decision-making in immediate scope. you record and track data related spend against activities in your immediate scope, including an activity and/or a service.
- Experience leading, growing and developing a data engineering team of around 7-30 people
- Hands-on experience designing, planning, product ionizing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable data infrastructure and data products in complex environments
- SQL knowledge a benefit
- Experience designing and implementing systems on AWS or Azure a benefit
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in technologies across all data lifecycle stages
- Collaborator management and ability to lead large organizations through influence
- Continuous learning and improvement approach
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.