Our purpose is to bring together people, energy and markets to power and navigate a changing world.
In a time of constant change and possibility we need new talent to pursue commercial opportunities, fueled by world-class insight and expertise. We’re always striving for more innovative digital solutions, sustainable outcomes and closer collaboration across our company and beyond, and you could be part of that too. Together we continue to grow as the world’s leading energy company!
Quant Researcher – Global Data Strategists Team
The Global Data Strategists team is located on trading floors in London, Singapore, New York and Houston, with a remit to provide groundbreaking quantitative research to BPs commercial teams. We bring sophisticated statistics and machine learning to trading, merging deep technical know-how with expert domain knowledge to generate tradable insights for the deployment of risk. The team works directly with Traders, Market Analysts and IT, making use of distinctive data sets and agile technology solutions.
You will join a team of Data Strategists to develop systematic trading strategies for NA Gas and Power markets
- Develop, demonstrate and deploy trading models, based on both financial and fundamental data sets in the NA Gas & Power space. A core focus will be advancing the systematic FTR and power trading capability and Gas trading.
- Contribute and collaborate with the global Data Strategists Team to deliver trading models
- Delivery of novel, high impact solutions to requests from the trading teams that drive commercial decision-making and revenue generation
- Lead the relationships with your commercial team and understand the strategies of their respective businesses. You will be embedded within a power trading team which has a successful track record and broad mandate to trade across the energy spectrum
- Work closely with key IT&S technology teams to ensure robust and scalable solutions
- PhD or MSc degree in a highly quantitative subject area (e.g. physics, mathematics, electrical engineering or computer science) from a top-class institution.
- Undergraduate in a quantitative field from a top-class institution.
- Hand on experience in predictive modeling or trading signals in a front office role of an investment bank, hedge fund or energy major
- Backtesting and the application of a rigorous statistical framework for hypothesis testing and risk management
- Advanced machine learning, probability and statistics knowledge with the working knowledge on how to model and assemble traditional sources of systematic alpha
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis and analytic approaches in a clear, precise, and practical manner
- Exceptional programming skills, with advanced knowledge of scripting languages, for example Python, R. Ability to write production ready, highly reliable and tuned numerical code
Consistent track record of:
- Solving hard problems through the creative application of technology
- Delivering trading models that drive PnL
- Working in an agile environment to prioritize deliverables from a commercial perspective
- Effective social and networking skills are essential to ensure successful engagement of the data strategists with the commercial team members in the trading organization
- Strong team working skills to promote continued teamwork within the data strategists team as well as between various IST teams
- Ability to design and implement tailored solutions to problems with rigor and judgment in a trading environment to strict time deadlines
- Ability to educate IST partners on new methodologies and benefits to their corresponding businesses
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Why join bp
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!