Entity:Production & Operations
Business Support Group
Job Family Group:
***Please note: you can apply to (1) bp early careers opportunity globally per academic year. If you make multiple applications within the same academic year then we will only process the first application you make, and you’ll be withdrawn from any subsequent applications.
bp’s Cherry Point refinery is one of the most modern refineries in the US, the largest in Washington, and the fourth largest on the West Coast. It supplies about 20 percent of Washington’s gasoline needs and fuels, and a significant amount of the jet fuel to Seattle, Portland and Vancouver, BC international airports.
As a Refining Electrical Engineering intern, you will:
• Collaborate in a diverse team environment and interact with professionals across operations, maintenance, environmental, and safety to provide technical support for the operating units.
• Work to design, analyze, and troubleshoot equipment used in 120V up to 12.47kV systems. Types of equipment include: switchgear, protective relays, transformers, motors, cables, variable frequency drives, UPS systems, lighting, grounding, and heat trace.
• Identify reliability improvement opportunities using root cause failure analysis, as well as codes and standards, such as IEEE, API, ANSI, and NFPA, to provide evidence for safety and business improvements.
• Make our process more cost effective, efficient, and technologically competitive
Are you ready to ignite your potential with BP?
Taking on the role as Electrical Engineering intern means resolving refinery production critical problems on electrical equipment, as well as supporting day-to-day maintenance and operating activities. Alongside a strong technical degree that means using your analytical and technical expertise to develop maintenance strategies and recommendations for production personnel.
• Must have cumulative and major GPA of 3.0 or higher
• No sponsorship is available for this position
• Seeking a bachelor’s degree in Electrical engineering
• Graduation Date between Dec 2024 May 2025
Why Join Us?
Successful interns will be considered for a full-time role within our One Engineering Program upon earning their degree. The One Engineering Program at bp is a development program for Early career discipline engineers, in which they will build their experience through challenging development assignments, develop a toolkit of transferable skills for the future, and have a dedicated network of support to help them succeed.
At bp, we love our interns! In addition to developing your technical capabilities within your given discipline, we ensure you enjoy your time with us and have a fun summer. Some of the wonderful things you’ll experience as a bp intern are:
• 12-week internship
• Competitive pay
• Retirement savings opportunities
• bp provided corporate housing with furnished apartments.
• Relocation assistance (if eligible)
• Social events, lunch & learns and community service opportunities.
• “Chat with a Leader” sessions
• Projects centered on meaningful work and true business impacts.
• Cherry Point Interns are an on-site positions, no remote and/or hybrid work setup
How much do we pay?
We pay interns and co-ops a set non-negotiable monthly rate based on your degree major, degree level and year of graduation. For this position, monthly salaries range from ($6,667) to ($7,917).
*Please note the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the base pay for this position at the time of posting. You may learn more about our generous benefits here Explore Our Benefits
Negligible travel should be expected with this role
This role is eligible for relocation within country
This position is not available for remote working
Adaptability, Authenticity, Collaboration, Communication, Continuous Learning, Courage, Creativity and Innovation, Curiosity, Decision Making, Digital fluency, Ethical judgement, Excellence, Influencing, Knowledge Sharing, Listening, Managing volatility, Problem Solving, Resilience, Self-Awareness, Stakeholder Engagement, Stakeholder Management, Understanding Emotions, Writing skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation related to bp’s recruiting process (e.g., accessing the job application, completing required assessments, participating in telephone screenings or interviews, etc.). If you would like to request an accommodation related to the recruitment process, please contact us to request accommodations.
If you are selected for a position and depending upon your role, your employment may be contingent upon adherence to local policy. This may include pre-placement drug screening, medical review of physical fitness for the role, and background checks.