Location: Primary Location is USA - Houston, Texas, but also has openings in Sunbury, UK. bp is now operating a new hybrid working solution for office-based employees, with a split between remote and office working.
About the Team
The Engineering team is a sub-group of Innovation and Engineering which is responsible for providing the leadership and expertise in the areas of Engineering, technology, and digital applications. I&E Engineering is critical in supporting the operating sites to ensure safe, compliant, reliable, and efficient operations including the design and installations related to major projects and growth areas like CCUS, hydrogen and wind.
The Scale-Up team within I&E Engineering supports operations, projects, process tools development, engineering technical practices and training to build capability and reduce risks. This new role in Scale-Up provides process engineering expertise to the growing business, operations, and projects in bp’s exciting new growth areas of low carbon and hydrogen.
The successful candidate for the Engineering Product Owner - Hydrogen will be involved in various activities related to growing bp’s expertise in hydrogen for energy uses. The role will involve integrated and coordinating activities across Innovation & Engineering and the business and ensuring alignment with other parts of the organization and communicate with key external organizations. Activities will include project ideation, technology hydrogen strategy, working within and leading squads, technology evaluations, feasibility studies, Joint Industry Programs and technology input and support to projects.
- Formulate the right response plan, standing up the right agile team and delivery for hydrogen work requests to meet business needs.
- Work alongside bp’s growth hydrogen businesses, Projects Organization and Innovation and Engineering to integrate and lead hydrogen technology activities.
- Responsible for hydrogen technology strategy updates and ensure it underpins bp’s hydrogen strategy, includes working with Innovation and Engineering to ensure hydrogen work programmes are aligned and budgets are in place and managed.
- Develop standardized approach for hydrogen technology evaluations for projects and recommendations and integrated into project teams.
- Share and embed learnings from engineering scale-up, and actively participate in technical networks, including running internal forums.
- Provide leadership to developing codes and standards with associations and standardized approaches within bp.
Essential experience and job requirements
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or equivalent
- Experience in one or more of technology, design, commissioning, and operation of industrial scale hydrogen generation plants, transportation or use.
- Working knowledge of novel hydrogen technologies, such as experience evaluating new technologies and TRLs for scale-up and implementation on a large industrial scale (in particular the higher TRLs).
- Experience and knowledge of working with licensors and OEMs across the hydrogen value chain.
- Experience in leading activities in Joint Industry Programmes and working with trade associations to progress the hydrogen business.
- Working knowledge of developing and implementing technology strategies.
- Applies and/or develops technical practices for managing the health, safety, security, environmental, quality and business outcomes of projects and/or operations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with emphasis on working effectively in teams.
- Interface effectively with cross-functional teams and individuals at all levels of the organization. Proactively interacting with other disciplines, subfunctions, contractors, and teams including relevant operations and project personnel as required.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with all levels within the organization. Ability to influence without formal authority.
- Experience working with technical providers or contractors.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 25%.
- Operations and project experience - demonstrable knowledge of industrial plant operations, projects, and process safety concepts
- Knowledge of hydrogen Industry codes & standards and how to apply them
- Agile scrum experience (e.g. working in squads).
- Ability to multitask and manage workload to meet multiple deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Highly motivated self-starter who can work independently, and work as a member of a cohesive team
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Flexible working arrangements will be considered.