The role of the Finance & Control Analyst (Finance and Planning team) is to increase value from our assets while maintaining a strong control environment (in partnership with Accounting Reporting and Control and the Asset teams) and ensuring accurate financial reporting.
The Finance & Control Analyst is an individual contributor position, reports to the Finance Manager - Development, and works closely with the Haynesville Development team and Permian Development team. The primary responsibilities of the role are to 1) manage the forecast, variance analysis, and prepare/coordinate monthly/quarterly accruals; 2) handle regulatory reporting; and 3) support BU business development projects. As a member of the finance team, the analyst will be part of a collaborative group where people are willing to step out of their roles to help others. Finance Analysts in BPX serve as trusted finance advisors to the business.
- Coordinate and support the BU Business strategy and the development of the BU plan, including testing multiple scenarios for value maximization
- Support investment governance for the BU including capital allocation, economic evaluation, post appraisal activities, recommendations and interventions
- Provide accurate, detailed and timely BU performance management information - performance scorecards, monthly business review, etc.
- Lead all aspects of asset level capital expenditures including:
- Review of Authorization for Expenditures (AFEs);
- Coordination, execution, and reporting of capital the latest estimate (LE) processes;
- Preparation of monthly capital accruals for operated and operated by other assets;
- Review of monthly actuals and troubleshooting of ERP challenges;
- Perform variance analysis
- Record recurring and ad hoc journal entries as needed
- Supervise payout wells and ensure revenue and expenses are updated accordingly in SAP and in forecasting (STX)
- Prepare supporting accounting schedules as needed
- Perform recurring JIB coding and research
- Manage, update, and improve asset Pro Forma AFE model
- Provide control and finance advice to asset leaders
- Proactively provide insight into the performance of the business through both standardized and unique analysis of BU and market results
- Support Portfolio Management and Business Development projects
- Actively work on continuous improvement of current and new processes as well as improved managerial reporting to support business decision making
- Support competitive analysis and benchmarking
- Other duties as assigned
Essential criteria & qualifications
- 5+ of experience in Finance and Commercial roles with sound understanding of Upstream Energy business
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Engineering or Business Administration from an accredited university or equivalent. MBA is a plus; CPA is a plus.
- Strong ERP experience (SAP) is required
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Strong business acumen and data-driven decision-making capabilities
- Self-starter, works with minimal supervision
- Ability to quickly analyze large volumes of data, recognize trends, develop solutions to business issues and recommend preferred alternatives. Experience with data analytics and visualization tools (Spotfire, Power BI) is a plus
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to effectively interface, influence and build alignment with individuals, multi-discipline teams and all levels in the BU and Region
- Effective communication and people skills; ability to develop and use informal networks. Knowledge of Aries software is a plus