Grade H, Responsible for delivering relevant analysis and modelling to provide commercial insight, utilising relationships to stay up to date with internal developments in statistical techniques, whilst identifying process improvements and applying insights from the external environment.
Embedded within the Oil Strategist team and operating in partnership with senior commercial partners, the Market Strategist uses analysis of fundamentals and other price drivers to form a market view and influence risk deployment.
The Market Strategist can develop and run infrastructure to quantify market fundamentals and their relationship to price. They can translate this into a view and communicate insights to trading partners, influencing commercial delivery. Recognised as holding relevant expertise in energy markets and quantitative methods, it provides new insights through innovative analysis and is not afraid to challenge the status quo, enabling Trading & Shipping to maintain its driven edge.
Adept at developing partnerships across Trading and Analytics, the Market Strategist can develop networks that stretch cross-geography and cross-commodity. They use the full suite of skills and capabilities that reside within our strong multidisciplinary analytics team, connecting analysis and information.
- Conduct analysis of oil markets to help support/challenge trading Books positions.
- Monitor fundamentals and major trends in the oil market and understand their impact across fuels linking back to trading and origination activity.
- Contribute to effective cross-discipline partnerships within Trading Analytics & Insights to bring the best skillsets to problems
- Collaborate efficiently across regions and commodity lines to build alignment and promote better connectivity
- Co-develop, maintain and embed a suite of models to quantify fundamentals and link to price.
- Grow and embed technical and subject matter expertise across the business and continually develop the Analytics infrastructure
- Strong academic background; preferably in Economics, Engineering, Data Science or another quantitative background
- Professional and/or academic analytical background
- Knowledge of commodity markets, traded instruments and energy economics
- History of developing partnerships with partners to deliver successful outcomes
- Subject matter expertise in oil/commodities and/or technical field
- Functional expertise developing quantitative analytics infrastructure
- Able to communicate key themes and messages clearly and succinctly
- Understanding of the downstream oil sector, refinery processes and economics
- Knowledge of upstream crude production processes and developments
- Experience of delivering tradable insights from analysis
- Knowledge of statistics, econometrics, data science and AI
- Capable using Python and other DS platforms