The Hydrogen Commercial Lead, will work as part of a multi-disciplinary squad to develop our hydrogen value chain. This is a Japan-based role with strong connectivity internally and externally focussed on Korea, Japan and Singapore, with projects spanning Asia Pacific.
The individual will leverage existing or identify new customer demand/offtake for hydrogen and ancillary products. Where relevant for market activation and securing first mover advantage, contribute to setting up hydrogen proofs of concept in areas such maritime and port sector, data centre etc.
Contribute to the analysis of the potential of offshore wind to hydrogen projects in Singapore, Japan and South Korea, along with other parts of T&S and BP Group to explore synergy/integration opportunities.
As a senior member of the team, you will also be required to lead projects and show leadership to junior members of indirect, agile teams. The individual will be encouraged to own the development, prospecting, value discovery, opportunity advancement and execution in line with risk and strategic aims. It will have clear targets and delivery expectations.
- Secure demand/offtake by helping to set up key partnerships with new counterparts or leverage and integrate existing bp gas, LNG & power relationships. Engage with other relevant hydrogen stakeholders e.g. OEMs, engineering companies etc.
- Build out bp’s position along the hydrogen value chain allowing bp to build out its supply positions in ASPAC (especially Australia) and elsewhere in bp’s global supply portfolio.
- Provide commercial and negotiation skills to the project teams to structure opportunities, manage risks, add/protect value eg. feedstock supply
- Provide support for hydrogen value chain purchase and commercial negotiations, working closely with project teams and other entities and groups across bp.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with key internal stakeholders.
- Interaction with governmental agencies involved in hydrogen in [Japan], working closely with C&A as well as ASPAC H2 & CCUS Advisory Services Manager.
- Analyse BP's role in setting up hydrogen import and usage hubs in Singapore, Japan and South Korea, linking it back to bp’s global supply portfolio.
- Establish positive relationships and map competitive intelligence across North Asia, working closely with C&A
- Maintain an active understanding and awareness of key hydrogen industry trends and their potential impact on bp’s interests.
- Ensure all origination activities are handled in a compliant manner and conducted in accordance with bp Code of Conduct and bp’s Trading & Shipping Operating Standards
- Maintaining high ethical standards and following all market rules and regulations
- Track record of leading successful commercial negotiations
- Significant experience in a commercial trading and marketing environment with experience of taking opportunities from discovery to deal close (full deal lifecycle), extracting value from projects/deals, utilising judgement around appropriate risk/reward, finding the most efficient solutions and deploying deep negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of commodity markets, gas, power markets, LNG and new energy markets, regulatory happenings and competitor environment – ability to utilise this knowledge to manage or mitigate risks whilst identifying opportunities
- Experience influencing and communicating with a diverse range of senior and executive level partners, both internally and externally for example with governments and agencies
- Previous experience in hydrogen, energy solutions and risk management techniques deployed to handle and effectuate transactions
- Consistent track record of working collaboratively across multiple teams to deliver sophisticated projects and commercial results
- Clear ability to adhere to and excel in control and compliance environments with dedication to compliance and encouraging a culture of compliance across their team
- Ability to thrive in both collaborative and autonomous environments with the ability to receive and provide respectful challenge
- Strong attention to detail, highly analytical and advanced problem-solving skills.
- Fluent in Japanese and English
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.