At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable and affordable energy. A career in productions & operations is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. As part of the team, you’ll create a more efficient business that makes the best possible use of all it's resources as we transform our operating assets in pursuit of our net zero ambition. You’ll also help to develop hydrocarbon resources, delivering progressive projects and growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways within the operational heart of bp.
Would you like to take your career to new heights?
The Toledo Refinery is currently accepting applications for First class Instrument Technician positions. The Instrument Technician is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of installing and repairing instrumentation throughout the refinery.
The starting pay is $44.75/hour; rising to $47.11/hour after successful completion of required training and certification.
The hiring class will start on January 2022 after successful completion of our application screening and pre-employment testing.
About the role
At bp, we have an exciting opportunity for an Instrument Technician at our Toledo Refinery to work closely with team members to maintain instrumentation for the Toledo Refinery. The position will involve troubleshooting, installing, repairing, and adjusting process instrumentation and control values.
The Instrumentation Technician will install, repair, maintain and calibrate indicating and controlling digital, pneumatic and electronic instruments to measure and control process variables such as pressure, flow, level, temperature, motion, force, and chemical composition using hand tools and precision instruments. This role will interpret technical documentation - data sheets, vendor manuals, troubleshooting flowcharts and technical drawings from simple schematic to complex P&IDs, instrument loop diagrams and PLC Ladder Logic including other key accountabilities:
- Understand digital control systems and valves, transmitters and transducers
- Disassemble malfunctioning instruments, examine and test mechanism and circuitry for defects
- Inspect and calibrate instruments adjustments to ensure functioning within specific controlled variables
- Repair control valves and positioners
- Troubleshoot and repair low voltage electrical control systems, assist electricians while completing electrical work and understand Electrical Area Classification and Installation requirements for equipment in hazardous areas.
- Safe solid understanding on NEC and NFPA 70E
A High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required for the role, however an Associate's degree in a technical discipline or related field, military experience, technical instrumentation experience preferred.
It is essential to have:
- Able to provide verification of a minimum of two years of Instrument Experience, with documented training and/or certifications.
- Must acquire the Instrumentation, Systems and Automation Society (ISA) Level 1 or higher, within six months of hire.
- Knowledge about the four primary process variables (i.e., flow, level, pressure, and temperature), about types "J" and "K" thermocouples, and a basic understanding of control systems.
- A valid driver's license at the time of employment.
- Willingness to work 8-hour shifts and temporary off-shifts that may include weekends, holidays and overtime and perform physically active job tasks - which involve year-round outdoor work in all types of weather.
- Ability to pass a physical ability demonstration, including but not limited to, ability to work in confined spaces, climb ladders to extended heights, turn a valve, and lift and carry up to 75lbs up flights of stairs.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Required equipment will accommodate a maximum of 275 lbs.
All of this will equip you in being set up for success in this role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.Apply
Reinvent your career as you help our business meet the challenges of the future. Apply now!