Who we are
The bp Risk and Insurance team is a global team based in London and Houston. Working closely alongside the Risk team, the Insurance team has responsibility for implementation of the Group's Policy on Insurance for bp’s worldwide operations. The Insurance Manager (US) will report to the Global Head of Insurance.
The successful candidate would be joining bp at a time of reinvention – on our journey to becoming an integrated energy company. This is a chance to be part of something huge: helping one of the largest companies in the world solve one of the biggest problems in the world. The investment opportunities represent trillions of dollars as the global energy system transforms over the coming decades.
About the role
The role will lead the delivery of risk management and insurance services to bp’s US and other North American businesses and will build and maintain close relationships with bp operating businesses, including resilient hydrocarbon and new low carbon energy businesses. This role is critical to the delivery of the insurable risk management strategy across bp by providing insurance that protects bp businesses through our transition to becoming a net zero company by 2050 or sooner.
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team focused on delivering the insurable risk needs of key businesses through interfaces with US insurance markets and the bp captive insurance team.
Essential Education and Experience
- Build and maintain deep strategic relationships with US bp business groups, integrators, enablers, joint venture partners and key external service providers.
- Oversee the implementation of the Group's Policy on Insurance within the US, and drive compliance in all contractually and statutorily required insurances.
- Build and maintain commercially advantageous relationships with key US insurance market partners to enable bp access to stable insurance capacity.
- Lead bp’s US communication and engagement strategy with the international insurance markets to position bp favourably in the marketplace.
- Support the development and implementation of a new insurable risk strategy designed to support bp’s energy transition.
- Promote a global business facing insurance model, with a focus on agile resourcing, simplification, standardisation, and continuous improvement.
- Support bp in M&A activities, providing subject matter expert input throughout the transaction, including reviewing all contracts, performing due diligence, and placing transactional insurance coverage.
- Be the subject matter expert for insurance language in contract negotiations, including major on- and offshore service providers, operating agreements, and Shareholder/Joint Venture Agreements.
- Provide technical and strategic direction on US specific insurable risk management needs.
- Exercise internal delegations of authority in the purchasing of US insurance, settlement of claims and appointment of market partners.
- Actively support individual learning and development needs to create a pipeline of talent.
- BSc or BA Degree or equivalent, preferably in risk management, insurance, finance, engineering, law, or appropriate professional qualification.
- Deep experience and expertise within insurable risk management and/or the insurance industry.
- Experience in contract reviews, risk allocation and negotiations.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and experience of leading senior executive relationships.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to lead professionals across a range of experience levels.
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to build bp’s position with partners, contractors, lenders, brokers, insurers, and senior internal stakeholders.
- High degree of strategic insight, the ability to progress complex problems in a changing environment and align objectives with business strategy.
- The ability to make balanced judgements about risks and issues within the overall context of a business case.
- Develop creative approaches to mitigate emerging risks presented by new bp businesses and operations.
- Experience in energy, retail and/or renewable energy insurances.
- Understanding of emerging insurance and risk financing solutions.
- Energised by low carbon solutions and bp’s net zero ambitions.
- Passionate about digital insurance solutions.
- The ability to speak / read other languages (fluent English required).
Why join us!At bp, we support our people to grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity.There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, among others!We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.