Our ambition is to be a net zero company by 2050 or sooner, and to help the world get to net zero carbon. Our innovation and engineering community will be key to making this a reality. We have a vacancy for Safety and Operations Lead, working as a member of the Global Operational Excellence Team reporting to the Laboratory, Safety and Operations Manager.
The role is an opportunity to work in a team responsible for the development of new technologies to support bp group operations and to appraise and develop new processes for low carbon business renewal. Work is undertaken to support numerous parts of the bp business resulting in a diverse and exciting portfolio of research facilities, activities, and technical challenges. This role will be primarily focused on managing safety and laboratory operations for our Wayne, NJ laboratory.
The Applied Sciences team operate a range of state-of-the-art laboratories and research equipment around the globe. Our Wayne, NJ laboratory conducts research, development, deployment, and technical service activities to support bp Castrol automotive and industrial lubricants businesses.
The Wayne Safety and Operations Lead is responsible for overseeing safety management and continual improvement of our laboratory operations. This includes ensuring our operations follow all applicable federal, state and county regulations.
Develop, implement, and maintain laboratory specific health, safety, and environment programs designed to meet all federal, state and county regulations
Lead reviews of laboratory specific safety related programs and policies
Chair laboratory safety committee driving continuous improvement of safety programs
Accountable for completion of all safety activities around self-verification and inspections
Incident Investigator - conduct investigations into near misses and incidents using the 5-Why methodology
Use leading and lagging safety metrics as well as internal and external standard methodologies to recommend changes to the safety programs and laboratory design to support continuous improvement.
Develop, schedule, coordinate and/or deliver laboratory specific HSE training
Management of 3rd party contractors responsible for maintaining laboratory infrastructure equipment
Lead continual improvement projects to improve efficiency of laboratory operations onsite
Liaise with on site Castrol HSSE teams to ensure group initiatives, site wide safety and security programs are aligned
Essential Criteria & Qualifications
- Degree in environmental health and safety or physical science subject areas
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals accreditation is desirable
- Demonstrable safety leadership experience in a laboratory environment
- Experience of playing a role in management of change, control of work and process safety management in an R&D environment
- Experience in contractor management
- Action orientated safety leader, proactively seeking out and responding to operational activities whilst assuring operational hazard assessments
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and complete tasks in a timely, accurate, and compliant manner with minimal supervision.
- Able to offer constructive challenge and advice
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills required
- Able to work successfully in a multi-discipline team environment
- Uses impact and influencing skills effectively to gain support for ideas from others
- Suitable candidates will be self-starters with the ability to work in an agile and independent manner whilst also being a strong teammate
- Capable of presenting technical information to a wide range of audiences
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.