Laboratory Technicians are involved in sampling, testing and reporting the test results on a full range of petroleum products and streams processed and manufactured at the Whiting Business Unit. They follow established testing procedures and must do so in a safe and timely manner.
- Provides prompt and accurate testing of routine or non-routine samples using the required method/standard.
- Records and maintains accurate records of analysis.
- Enters test results into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Contributes effectively to the team, meeting both team and personal objectives as set.
- Communicates accurately any unusual observations made during analysis of samples so as to assist in resolving internal non-conformances.
- Assists the laboratory chemists and supervisors in the development of new test procedures.
- Provides training for new laboratory technicians.
- Performs routine maintenance on analytical and process equipment as required for normal lab operations.
- Maintains equipment, calibrations and performance-monitoring checks ensuring accurate records.
- Performs any required retesting and communicates off-specification product results.
- Practices site safety and environmental standards and follows local area policies.
- Participates in job safety analysis and has good work area housekeeping.
- Supports the laboratory's ISO9001 quality management system.
- Understands and supports the day-to-day operational and the longer-term strategic goals of the refinery and laboratory.
- Associates Degree in a chemical technology field or a Bachelors Degree in a chemical related field. A minimum of two years of college chemistry is required.
- Strong, analytical chemistry skills.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Knowledge on the use of LIMS.
Knowledge on the use of SQC methods.
Able to follow procedures.
Knowledge of petroleum testing and specifications is preferred.
- Ability to write procedures (standard work instructions), and train others and document progress.
- Ability to be on call, work 8 hour rotating shifts, and be available for mandatory overtime (known as a draft), including weekends and holidays.
- A valid driver’s license.