At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. bp’s ambition is to be one of the leading providers of offshore wind energy. A career in offshore wind is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in support bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our offshore wind projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
Are you ready to take your career to new heights?
bp and Equinor formed a strategic partnership to develop offshore wind energy in US. bp and Equinor will jointly develop four assets in two existing offshore wind leases located offshore New York and Massachusetts that together have the potential to generate power for more than two million homes.
The partnership will leverage capability and experience from both companies. Development engineering, construction and commissioning operations will be performed by Equinor Wind Services LLC US. It is staffed by secondees from both Equinor and bp.
This role is needed to support these projects in the greater New York city area. The successful candidate may support offshore wind as a home-based employee before deployment to the US East Coast, upon prior agreement, and must be mobile to work in the required area when needed.
It is possible that this role will become a secondment onto a bp joint venture. This can be discussed in more detail during the recruitment process.
About the role
As a Marine Installation Engineer, you will provide support to our Projects offshore wind business. Our wind business is rapidly growing, and this role will support the marine activity to manage large and complex project marine installation activities including planning, operations and logistics.
The Marines Installation Engineer will manage and plan large and complex offshore project activities including logistics and stakeholder management at harbor and handling complex supply chains. Scopes include, but are not limited to, mobilizations, demobilizations, supply chain logistics and installation of Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) foundations, WTG structure, offshore sub-station and inter array cable. This role will provide support for Marine Operations in the procurement, vessel verification and intake processes.
You will be accountable for:
- Evaluate technical offers received to evaluate possible options for the project and synergies with other projects; and provide input to concept selection process for foundation design and logistics concepts for marine Installation
- Contribute to establishment of marine projects logistics concepts with other disciplines.
- Verify technical feasibility of all marine operations.
- Perform marine installation simulations through use of relevant software.
- Close collaboration with projects to identify synergies and actively seek optimum solution between the projects.
- Engage with Marine Warranty Surveyors for project.
- Seek solutions to achieve Maritime climate ambitions for project marine installations.
- Extract, record and implement learning from execution projects and assets in operation.
- Follow-up of risk, monitoring and quality management.
Conformance to Processes & Standards
- Demonstrate basic use of a structured set of processes that are designed to deliver safe, reliable and compliant operations and projects that continuously reduce risk, improve performance and deliver bp’s business aims.
- Be recognized as a practitioner through using tools and training to get the best from all team members
- Contribute to the safety leadership by consistently demonstrating commitment to safety initiatives
- Identify HSE risks, mitigations and communicate as appropriate
- Influence HSE performance for both on and offshore and proactively assure that they meet HSE expectations
- Work in conformance with bp’s core values and leadership expectations
You will have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, or Petroleum) with Chartered Engineer Status or related Project Accreditation. Experience is what matters. A minimum of 7-10 years with marine operations for installation of WTG foundation, WTG, Offshore Substation and Inter Array Cable installation is required. Experience building, installing, and commissioning Wind related equipment.
The successful candidate will have experience working in a major project environment and managing/planning large and complex offshore installation. Experience with structural design of offshore structures, including fabrication, load-out, transportation, lifting and installation. Experience with complex logistics at staging harbor and interaction with other users are vital to the role.
It’s also important that you have:
- Minimum of 7 - 10 years of industry experience, with at least 3 years Wind experience
- Demonstrated industry experience within project management and installation environments
- Strong health, safety, environmental and regulatory compliance record
- Experience in simultaneous installation involving installation, maintenance and construction.
- Project management skills to include cost / benefit analysis, risk assessment, vendor oversight, and ability to execute independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership, facilitation and problem solving / analytical skills
It’s desirable to have:
Why join us
- Knowledge of US engineering legislation and standards.
- Handling of complex supply chain (domestic and international).
- Experience with follow-up of Marine Warranty surveyor scope.
- Can performance manage others (including. 3rd party providers) and support timely decision making.
- Ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!