Embedded within the Oil Strategist team and operating in partnership with senior commercial stakeholders, the market strategist uses analysis of fundamentals and other price drivers to form a market view and influence risk deployment.
The market strategist can develop and run infrastructure to quantify market fundamentals and their relationship to price. They can translate this into a view and communicate insights to trading stakeholders, influencing commercial delivery. Recognized as holding relevant expertise in energy markets and quantitative methods the market strategist provides new insights through innovative analysis and is not afraid to challenge the status quo, enabling T&S to maintain its competitive edge.
Adept at developing partnerships across trading and analytics, the market strategist can develop networks that stretch cross-geography and cross-commodity. They leverage the full suite of skills and capabilities that reside within our strong multidisciplinary analytics team, connecting analysis and information.
- Contribute to trading strategy: Conduct analysis of light ends and petrochemical markets to help support/challenge trading Books positions. Develop new trading opportunities out of analysis and contribute to strategy discussion.
- Understand fundamentals and market moves and how they link back to trading and origination activity. Drive original analysis in the team.
- Develop effective cross-discipline partnerships within TA&I to bring the best skill sets to problems.
- Collaborate effectively across regions and commodity lines to create alignment and promote better connectivity.
- Co-develop, maintain and embed a suite of models to quantify fundamentals and link to price.
- Leverage skills and capabilities that reside in multidisciplinary analytics team.
- Grow and embed technical and subject matter expertise across the business and continually develop the Analytics infrastructure.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Professional and/or academic analytical background
- Knowledge of relevant commodity markets and energy economics
- History of developing partnerships with stakeholders to deliver successful outcomes
- Subject matter expertise in relevant commodity line and/or technical discipline
- Functional expertise developing quantitative analytics infrastructure
- Able to communicate key themes and messages clearly and succinctly
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Familiarity with commodity and financial markets
- Understanding of petrochemical markets and assets
- Experience of delivering tradeable insights from analysis
- Knowledge of advanced statistics, econometrics, data science and AI
- Capable using Python and other DS platforms