Embedded within bp's Oil Strategist team and operating in partnership with senior commercial stakeholders, the market strategist uses analysis of fundamentals and other price drivers to form a market view and influence business decisions.
The Market Strategist – Refining and Assets is a pivotal role connecting bp’s global analytics and insight capability with the bp’s businesses to inform business strategy and drive business decisions. The role requires a dynamic individual to produce rigorous and commercial fundamental analysis to support BP’s customers and products, origination and strategy work. The candidate needs to be someone who is equally happy to be digging into data, identifying original commercial solutions and communicating the results to multiple levels in the organization. Reporting to the Global Head of Refining and Assets, the position will also have strong lines of accountability to deliver analytics for both the Customers and Products and Trading and Shipping organizations.
- Provide regular analysis for refined product balances for the Americas and detailed balances for sub-regions.
- Prepare regular reports and management presentations on forward market/competitive trends.
- Identify regional price dynamics and understand the mechanisms and risks that can change those dynamics.
- Develop (3-30 month) price forecasts and explain why these may deviate from the forward curves at least 1x/year.
- Develop, own and continually improve tools used by the refining and asset market strategist team
- Utilize analytical tools e.g. Python to improve existing processes and elicit new insights and refinery modelling to evaluate price relationships
- Ensure coordination across the organization so that BP has one company view on forward balances and pricing in the region.
- Critically appraise the value of using internal over existing external sources in all projects.
- Understand fundamentals and market moves and how they link back to trading and origination activity. Drive original analysis in the team.
- Develop effective cross-discipline partnerships within analytics and insight to bring the best skill sets to problems.
- Collaborate effectively across regions and commodity lines to create alignment and promote better connectivity.
- Grow and embed technical and subject matter expertise across the business and continually develop the Analytics infrastructure.
- Academic background; preferably in Economics, Engineering, Data Science or another quantitative background
Essential experience and job requirements
- Professional and/or academic analytical background
- Knowledge of US refining industry and crude quality fundamentals
- Understanding of the downstream oil sector, refinery processes and economics
- Knowledge of relevant commodity markets, traded instruments and energy economics
- History of developing partnerships with stakeholders to deliver successful outcomes
- Subject matter expertise in relevant commodity line and/or technical discipline
- Functional expertise developing quantitative analytics infrastructure
- Able to communicate key themes and messages clearly and succinctly
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Knowledge of commodity and financial markets
- Knowledge of upstream crude production processes and developments
- Experience of delivering tradeable insights from analysis
- Experience with refinery linear programming
- Knowledge of advanced statistics, econometrics, data science and AI
- Capable using Python and other DS platforms