At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. bp’s ambition is to be one of the leading providers of offshore wind energy. A career in offshore wind is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in support bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our offshore wind projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
Are you ready to take your career to new heights?
bp and Equinor formed a strategic partnership to develop offshore wind energy in US. bp and Equinor will jointly develop four assets in two existing offshore wind leases located offshore New York and Massachusetts that together have the potential to generate power for more than two million homes.
The partnership will leverage capability and experience from both companies. Development engineering, construction and commissioning operations will be performed by Equinor Wind Services LLC US. It is staffed by secondees from both Equinor and bp.
This role is needed to support these projects in the greater New York city area. The successful candidate may support offshore wind as a home-based employee before deployment to the US East Coast, upon prior agreement, and must be mobile to work in the required area when needed.
It is possible that this role will become a secondment onto a bp joint venture. This can be discussed in more detail during the recruitment process.
About the role
As an Offshore Cables Installation Engineer, you will provide support to our Projects offshore wind business. Our wind business is rapidly growing and this role will be responsible for planning, development, technical qualification, transportation and field installation of all respective components from loadout operations at fabrication yard and marshalling port to final installation at site of the investment project, with a core responsibility for assuring a well-planned Marine Operations strategy as basis for a timely and cost-efficient operation with an excellent HSE performance.
This role is responsible for onshore fabrication and marshalling, seabed preparation, front-end engineering and route design associated with export and inter-array cables (land and subsea as appropriate) for use in project consenting, design optimization and financial modelling activities. This is an active role in the follow-up of HSE, risk, monitoring and quality management for transportation and installation. Participate during offshore operations as required. Assist Company Representative with their day-to-day duties as required. This person will provide technical guidance and assurance to the Project, ensuring safe, consistent and cost effective application of Project, bp and regulatory codes and standards and good engineering practice.
You will be accountable for:
- Define scope of work for export cable and inter-array cable EPCI, design criteria and technical requirements, including route constructability specifications for cable EPCI packages.
- Coordinate and manage project offshore and onshore cable route design, including interface engineering with other disciplines
- Review of contractor’s specifications, procedures, reports and supporting documentation. Active participation in design reviews, Hazop’s, Hazids and technical meetings.
- Develop concept solutions with a low risk level within HSE, cost competitive and robust.
- Follow up any Technology Qualification Programs, including type certification as relevant.
- Contribute to efficient workstream and perform review/verification of NCRs, TQs and documentation.
- Follow up with the cable EPCI contractor in the execution phase (engineering, fabrication, transportation, installation and commissioning).
- Work in an integrated way with the wider project and cross functional teams to support delivery of robust, competitive development assessments in support of investment decisions
- Manage risk and technology plans for the installation scope, ensuring action plans in place and delivered
You will have a bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, or Petroleum) with Chatered Engineer Status or related Project Accrediation. Experience is what matters. A minimum of 7-10 years with marine operations for installation of WTG foundation, WTG, Offshore Substation and Inter Array Cable installation is required. Proven technical experience associated with design, fabrication, installation, and commissioning of HVAC/HVDC cables ideally up to and including 400kV. Experience building, installing, and commissioning Wind related equipment.
The successful candidate will have experience working in a major project environment and managing/planning large and complex offshore installation. Background will preferably be in offshore wind farm projects. Experience working in a major project environment is vital to the role.
Experience working in a joint venture or non-operated environment, or multicultural environment is advantageous.
It’s also important that you have:
- Minimum of 7-10 years of industry experience, with at least 3 years Wind experience
- Demonstrated industry experience within project management and installation environments
- Strong health, safety, environmental and regulatory compliance record
- Experience in simultaneous installation involving installation, maintenance and construction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership, facilitation, and problem solving / analytical skills
It’s desirable to have:
Why join us
- Working knowledge of US engineering legislation and standards
- Handling of complex supply chain (domestic and international)
- Experience with follow-up of Marine Warranty surveyor scope
- Can performance manage others (including. 3rd party providers) and support timely decision making
- Interface effectively with cross-functional teams and individuals at all levels of the organization Proactively interacting with other disciplines, subfunctions, contractors, and teams including relevant operations and project personnel as required
- Ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision
- role is office based but candidate required to be flexible to travel at short notice abroad and to offshore locations for periods of time
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!