As a Principal Software Engineer, you are the expert member of a team creating software for BP colleagues and external users.
Your team’s mission is to be the digital provider of choice to your area of BP – delivering innovation at speed where it's wanted, and day-in-day-out reliability where it's needed. You will operate in a dynamic and commercially focussed environment, with the resources of one of the world's largest Digital organisations and leading Digital and IT vendors working with you. You will be part of growing and strengthening our technical talent base – experts coming together to solve BP and the world’s problems.
Our innovations and achievements lead the way for BP to modernise the way it works. I&E touches every part of BP and we have employees in over 30 countries.
Join us and you’ll have an opportunity to use your existing experience and expertise whilst continuing to develop professionally. Personal growth and development is encouraged and learning opportunities are plentiful.
About the job:
The team you're creating is dedicated to building products for Production & Operations and Business Services within BP. Your mission is to be the digital provider of choice; delivering innovation at speed, day-in-day-out reliabily where it's needed.
We operate in a dynamic and commercially focussed environment, with the resources of one of the world's largest Digital organisations and leading Digital and IT vendors working with you.
Be part of growing and strengthening our technical talent base, coming together to solve BP and the world’s problems.
- Working with users and business analysts to understand requirements
- Designing, developing, and testing custom software applications
- Supporting and maintaining your software. We believe in DevOps – you build it, you run it!
- Monitoring and applying emerging technologies
- Providing mentorship and thought leadership to your team and across the organisation
In addition to having leadership capability, you have validated experience in most of these technologies:
- Azure and/or AWS
- Azure DevOps/Git/GitHub
- RESTful APIs
- Deep understanding of automated testing (unit, functional, integration, e2e)
- Container technologies (EKS, AKS, OpenShift, docker) and Serverless
- DevOps principles – you build it, you run it!
- Monitoring and telemetry tools
- Agile methodologies
- Proven willingness and ability to learn, to become deeply skilled in at least one more programming language on top of your existing skillset
- Deep experience and understanding of the software development lifecycle, including design, security, design patterns for extensible and reliable code, automated unit and functional testing, CI/CD and telemetry
- Expertise in modern technologies like Cloud native, containers, serverless
- Confirmed experience of Agile methodologies, DevOps culture and practices, Lean techniques like Value Stream Mapping
- User story definition
- Application Support
Leadership and EQ
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world.
- You are a great team-mate, looking beyond your own area and organisational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and perspective of others.
- You are self-aware and actively seek mentorship from others on impact and effectiveness
- You apply judgment and common sense. You use insight and good judgement to enable commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- You ensure your personal compliance with BP's Code of Conduct and strong consistency with our Values & Behaviours.
You have cultural fluency – you actively seek to understand cultural differences and sensitivities.
At bp, we provide the following environment & benefits:
- A company culture where we respect our diverse teams and are proud of our achievements
- Possibility to join social communities and networks
- A healthy work-life balance
- Chill-out and collaboration spaces in a modern office environment
- Learning and development opportunities to craft your career path
- Life & health insurance, medical care package
- And many others benefits!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.