The role of the Process Safety Auditor is to deliver high quality and insightful audit work. As an individual contributor you will have the opportunity to lead some audits under the direction of a senior audit manager. You will also contribute to other activities in the internal audit function such as ongoing development of methodology and executive (quarterly audit meeting) reporting. The role represents an excellent opportunity for individuals to broaden their skillsets and develop their leadership skills.
Audit Lead Accountabilities
- It is expected that auditors will work as a team member on audits and may lead certain audits under the overall supervision of a senior audit manager.
- Prepare for audit assignments by reviewing entity risks and controls, conducting pre-read and developing personal interview plans as appropriate.
- Apply subject matter knowledge to audit work.
- Conduct interviews, record, and field checks in line with the audit test plans, communicate issues to the audit lead as they arise, develop insightful findings with verifiable corrective actions, agree findings and take corrective actions.
- Provide informal coaching/mentoring to other team members.
- Support the audit lead and other team members as required, including audit planning or deputy lead assignments
- Engage with the auditee respectfully and positively, acting as an ambassador for internal audit.
- Understand the specific risks and controls and develop a term of reference and test plan to address objectives.
- Engage with the business effectively in a professional manner to facilitate audit delivery.
- Manage relationships with the audit team, senior business leaders and other functional leaders.
- Manage audit fieldwork, business communications, reporting and close-out in line with internal audit requirements.
- Deliver high quality, well written audit reports.
- Manage travel cost considerations and time allocations for allocated audits. Notify the relevant internal leadership in a timely manner of any notable issues or items that may require their attention during audit delivery.
- Lead a team of other internal audit team members to deliver impactful audit reports, providing coaching, support, mentoring and development.
- Act as the first point of escalation to resolve differences in opinion between auditors and auditees.
- Contribute to the development of a common audit approach and tools to related areas.
- Develop and maintain relationships with peer level leaders, promoting the work of internal audit among auditees and peer level colleagues.
- Lead or support the production of quarterly audit meeting reporting to bp leadership.
- Support verification activities by providing subject matter expertise and resource as required, following the requirements of the internal audit verification processes.
- Contribute to any additional business-as-usual areas delegated by the leadership team (e.g. HSSE and Office Safety, Ethics & Compliance program, IT projects, DE&I, Local Engagement Team).
- Contribute to significant change programs identified as part of internal audit’s continuous improvement activity.
Suitably qualified professional with degree or similar educational background, and/or relevant industry experience.
Essential Experience & Job Requirements
- A good understanding of COMHA or major accident hazard risk.
- As an operational risk auditor, knowledge, and experience in at least one of the following areas is required (in order of preference):
- Inspection and maintenance (e.g., unit mechanical engineer, inspection engineer, corrosion engineer, maintenance supervisor)
- Risk or process safety management (e.g., technical authority; engineering, maintenance, or operations leader; process safety engineer)
- Operations (e.g., unit process engineer, superintendent, shift supervisor, operations team leader, production team leader)
- Ability and willingness to travel offshore, including ability to ride in a helicopter or boat. Possess or be able to secure offshore readiness certification.
- A consistent record of delivery of audits, business projects or line work.
- Experience in improving processes and systems in an audit or non-audit environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.