Grade FResponsible for providing highly advanced Process Safety engineering expertise to projects or operations, including maintenance, inspection and turnaround, through recommendation of technical solutions and technology developments and leadership of engineering studies, risk assessments and Management of Change (MoC) efforts, contributing to the strategic development (long-term improvement) of the discipline and setting and implementing engineering technical practices for the business to advance the technical integrity of assets.
Safety and operational risk assurance (S&ORA) team within innovation & engineering (I&E) supports bp’s core value of safety by using their expertise in safety and operational (S&O) risk management to eliminate catastrophic safety events - both physical & digital by
The central authorities team within S&ORA is a global pool of deep technical specialists to conduct planned, day-to-day, and structured assurance in the areas of risk, process safety, operations, marine, aviation logistics, cyber security, and joint ventures. This team:
- being experts and partners in managing and reducing S&O risk to enhance safety performance
- providing independent assurance of activities to prevent harm to our people and the planet
- building operations capability to manage risk through our assurance activities
- acting as the conscience of bp by intervening, where necessary, and providing pragmatic recommendations to reduce S&O risk
- Leveraging digital and data driven innovative solutions to improve operating management systems (OMS) and assurance impact
Utilizes performance data and trends to inform planned assurance with appropriate cadence.
- Performs assurance in areas of risk assessment & management, process hazard analysis, integrity of safety barriers, and underlying processes & systems
- Works closely with business facing and central S&ORA teams to support assurance planning, reporting and analysis
Key Accountabilities:The process safety authority reports to the lead process safety authority and has the following specific accountabilities are:
Support regional and other central teams in evaluating operational risk assessments (ORAs), safety system overrides, safe operating limit (SOL) deviations, and management of change
- Assure process safety hazards are correctly identified and assessed, including potential impacts on-site and off-site
- Assure process safety risks have been appropriately assessed and safety barriers identified based upon the severity of the risk
- Provide an end-to-end view of major process safety risks based on the totality of safety barriers, their health, and historical site performance
- Review new or emerging process safety risks to assure that they have been appropriately assessed and characterized.
- Degree in engineering or related field
- 15+ years of experience in process industry in the field of process and/or process safety engineering
- Application of a variety of elements of Process Safety Management
- Skillful in process hazard analysis techniques (e.g., HAZOP, LOPA, FHA, QRA).
Association with relevant industry organizations
- Chemical engineering degree
- Professional accreditation such as chartered engineer/professional engineer/ Professional Process Safety Engineer
Location can be Sunbury, Houston or any location with a main bp Office or site
- Independent, self-motivated individual with the ability to prioritize, use expert judgement, and work with minimal supervision
- Requires up to 20% travel globally to bp operated assets and joint ventures
- Collaboration with teams across time zones requiring flexibility in working hours while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with people across different levels within the organization