The business-led innovation team (Vista) within bp Trading & Shipping (T&S) business is set up with the mission to help future-proof the organization. We set out to answer 3 questions:
- how can technologies today solve yesterday’s problems faced by T&S
- how can technologies of tomorrow give us a commercial competitive edge, today
- what do we need to do/think/behave differently, in a rapidly evolving business landscape
Vista is an agile, impact-driven and solution-agnostic team within T&S, focused on analysing and leveraging innovative technologies, business models and ecosystem partnerships to address commercial opportunities.
We do this through close collaboration with our business stakeholders (front/mid/back offices included) as well as technology partners (internally and externally). Vista maintains a solution-agnostic approach when it comes to solving a business challenge/opportunity; we are obsessed with the problem, and the holistic suitability of the solution, but not the specific technology or path to delivery (ie. via internal build or external buy).
Within Vista, the Implementation function is 1 of the 3 core pillars, it is responsible for the successful and timely delivery of innovative solutions required to solve business challenges and opportunities.
In situations when we are faced with a novel or complex idea that neither existing enterprise solutions exist nor it could be tackled with external available options, Vista will endeavour to create a rapid prototype by ourselves and hence the need for a digital product manager in-house.
- Develop solid understanding of the business and its processes that each Vista prototype product tries to support – constraints, goals, commercial driver, priorities, timeline
- Develop solid understanding of users and user needs, help to define clear, commercial business cases behind requirements
- Ensure all requirements (functional and non-functional) are substantiated with impactful and worthy reasons
- Envision and map out existing and to-be business processes in a succinct, communicable manner to non-technical audience
- Ability to build and identify different personas
- Ownership over product roadmap, ensure priortisation is in place, and conduct regular backlog combing; ability to pivot quickly if required
- Be a strong advocate for adopting Scrum methodologies and best practices with the product team, facilitate (or lead) Scrum ceremonies whenever required
- Ensure frequent, transparent, clear and relatable updates to business and functional stakeholders
- Ability to lead engineering team to drive delivery clarity and escalate challenges in a timely and upfront manner
- Coordinate and conduct user testing and feedback sessions, use the opportunities to assess the delivery outcome and gather feedback for further enhancement or pivot or termination in an impartial manner
- Keep a lookout and build good understanding of external competitive landscape of the solution
Essential Education, Experience and Job Requirements
- Business/ Computer Science or related degree
- Proven track record as a product leader, with at least 5-7 years of software product management experience
- Ability to take on an ambiguous business idea and see through product development from concept to scale
- Champion of Scrum and Agile methodologies
- Good programming/technology sophistication to differentiate between functional and non-functional requirements and the implications of both to roadmap planning and sprint plannings
- Solid understanding of (and ability to articulate/write) Epics, User stories, UAT requirements
- Solid proficiency in product management tools (ie. Azure DevOps, Jira, Atlanssian)
- Strong commercial acumen with ability to link business needs to roadmap prioritization and identify what are high-impact requirements
- Superior time-management and organizational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize across portfolio projects
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences