In Global Concept Development (GCD), we shape the future of bp. GCD is an organization where people are energized and engaged, delivering ever better portfolio, project and concept selection decisions which result in the best sustainable portfolio of projects in the energy sector.
We are in the search of an appraisal engineer who will be accountable to screen and progress the most competitive business opportunities in our refining entities through Concept Development and Optimize stages (FEL-1 and FEL-2). This role will manage large and highly complex programs of projects and/or standalone major projects.
Refining projects are required to manage compliance/asset integrity, protect value, create new value, and/or advance our existing asset operations towards net zero carbon. They are typically Brownfield/highly sophisticated projects centrally managed as a portfolio.
This role requires innovating, an agile/self-starter/strategic mentality, striving under uncertainty and ambiguity, integrating diverse perspectives, learning and trying innovative ideas/technologies, using industry solutions, operating across traditional department boundaries, driving efficiency gains and building deep and dynamic partnerships to help shape the future of our refinery assets.
- Understand HSE expectations and standards; and demonstrate genuine commitment and safety leadership by articulating HSE goals, promoting inherently safer design and low carbon solutions and identifying/managing major hazards/risks in the early project stages (FEL-1/2).
- Lead/facilitate creation of program strategies to drive efficiency gains, streamline project delivery and develop standard project solutions to be deployed across various assets (design one and build many).
- Lead multi-functional screening of business opportunities to generate/maintain a justified, prioritized, balanced and doable project portfolio that fits within the capital frame; enables delivery of the asset strategy; sustains safe, compliant and reliable operations; protects/creates financial value; and advances the refinery towards carbon net zero. Bias is towards screening more and killing early.
- In concept development stage, confirm business case viability of higher complexity refinery projects and select a safe and competitive project concept (making the Tier-1 decisions) that is robust to the technical and commercial risks (i.e. no recycles or late kills) to progress into Optimize stage. Bias is towards value over volume and delivery of standardized solutions that fit better to known and established fabrication and construction execution methods.
- In Optimize stage, mature and optimize scope of the selected concept for value (making the Tier-2 decisions) and initiate project handover to the delivery team upon finalizing the Statement of Requirements (SoR). Support the delivery team to develop the Project Execution Plan (PEP), complete stage deliverables and set Define FM (Financial Memorandum) performance targets (informed by internal/external benchmarks).
- Self-verify conformance against PCP requirements. Assess project gate readiness and lead resolution of gaps identified during project Inter-stage Gate Reviews (ISGRs).
- Engage Project Managers/Engineers early in Optimize stage to drive seamless/systematic project transition/handover and achieve readiness to enter Define stage.
- Apply decision-quality/decision-analysis principles to address Tier-1/Tier-2 decisions. Manage risks/uncertainties to advise decisions considering the full lifecycle and range of expected outcomes.
- Access Domain Experts across bp and industry, as required to inform decision-making. Identify and share learning and key takeaways.
- Develop positive relationships and collaborate with a wide range of functions/businesses that sponsor and support progression of project opportunities.
- Manages and reports project cost, schedule, safety, and operability, along with any other significant metrics of project success.
- Integrates project inputs, effectively balancing conflicting requirements, in situations of high complexity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- 10+ years of proven experience in the oil & gas industry with demonstrable capability in project appraisal of Brownfield projects.
- Self-starter; inclusive and respectful individual capable of building strong relationships, influencing and collaborating with others; understanding the big picture and driving focus on what matters; able to work with complex, ambiguous and limited data. Effectively deploys different leadership styles, depending on the situation.
- Proven experience leading front-end stages (FEL-1/2) of refining projects.
- Good capability applying decision quality/decision analysis practices.
- Proven experience managing portfolios/programs of projects.
- Advanced degree or PMP accreditation.