At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. A career in productions & operations is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. As part of the team, you’ll create a more efficient business that makes the best possible use of all it's resources as we transform our operating assets in pursuit of our net zero ambition. You’ll also help to develop hydrocarbon resources, delivering progressive projects and growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways within the operational heart of bp.
The Toledo Refinery is currently accepting applications for Process Operator positions.
The starting pay is $35.87/hour; with opportunity to rise to $47.83/hour after successful completion of required trainings and certifications.
The hiring class will start in early 2022 after our application screening process and pre-employment testing.
The Refinery Process Operator is responsible for monitoring and controlling the continuous operation of process equipment in a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable manner. This includes performing rounds to check for proper operation, sampling process streams, following procedures during normal operation and emergency situations, and maintain compliance with all safety and environmental policies.
The Process Operator is responsible for shutting equipment down, preparing for maintenance, and returning equipment to service once maintenance work is completed, including performing minor maintenance tasks. This role will be able to follow written and verbal direction while working in a dynamic team with the following key accountabilities:
- Troubleshoot and correct any deficiencies with the process/equipment and communicate to management, complete “Trouble-Shooting Guide” as necessary prior to Work Requests being written
- Understands Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies, procedures and proper application and use of procedures or checklists while remaining compliant with Process Safety Management
- Write log of all activities that occurred during the shift and provide thorough handover to oncoming operator
- Accurate reading of levels, pressures, temperatures, and other operational components
A High School Diploma or equivalent is required for the role, however a bachelor’s degree or Associate's degree or completion of apprenticeship program will be advantageous. A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience or technical field training or military experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment such as refinery, power, or chemical plant, or military equivalent preferred. Experience with distillation, filtration, separation, blending, storage, shipping, chemical reaction processes would greatly benefit the role holder.
A detailed oriented self-starter with excellent verbal, written communication and proficient computer skills are crucial to the role. We are looking for someone with strong mechanical proficiency with an understanding of physical science, chemistry, and mathematics. Ability to systematically troubleshoot and identify root causes, identify and assess safety hazards and continuously optimize operation are vital to succeed in this role.
The successful candidate will be:
Why join us
- Working a rotating 12-hour shifts including days, nights, weekends, holidays and available for overtime in an outside all-weather environment
- Standing, walking, lifting, and carrying up to 30-pounds; bending, stooping, twisting, reaching, stretching, pushing, pulling, dragging 50-yards, balancing, kneeling, crawling, use of hands and feet
- Climbing ladders and stairs, working at heights, and in limited scenarios making confined space entry.
- Wearing fresh air gear, respirators, and other protective equipment, as required
At bp, we believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life, including a generous paid parental leave policy and excellent retirement benefits, among others!