About the Role
Leading the regional Market Strategist capability for a Global book this front office role involves the production of analysis and insight in support of T&S trading and origination activity.
The Regional Lead provides thought leadership, owns the regional market view and leads the interface with relevant stakeholders. In partnership with these regional stakeholders they define and develop analytics capability to build competitive advantage in trading. They possess deep subject matter expertise and fully leverage data and technology through working with multi-disciplinary teams.
One of the core elements of the Market Strategist discipline is to identify changes in supply and demand fundamentals and communicate the likely impact on price action to the trading benches. The Regional Lead Market Strategist works closely with trading and FM&I to ensure knowledge and information from participation in physical and derivative markets is embedded within models, infrastructure and systems. They will be responsible for creating and maintaining market outlooks for their geography through all time horizons and therefore support the trade business (in partnership with Trade Strategists) and the origination business. Acting as a point person for their respective market they will be accountable for working with the FM&I team to deliver a product that can be maintained by the Strategist teams on an ongoing basis.
- Support the continual development of analytics capability and infrastructure
- Monitor & quantify market fundamentals and their relationship to price
- Develop / communicate market and price views to improve commercial delivery
- Leverage information flow that comes from participation in physical and derivative markets
- Actively promote the sharing of knowledge, data, ideas and insights
- Manages interface with regional commercial stakeholders
- Interface with leads in other regions
- Interface with leads within region
- Coaching market strategist(s) in region
- Owns regional market view for book (short to long term)
- Run infrastructure to produce insights, highlighting position risk and contributing to trading & origination strategy
- Work with Lead Market Strategist(s) & Trade Strategist(s) to form market/trade views
- Working closely with relevant analytics disciplines to develop modelling infrastructure and improve/maintain balances
- Understand the major moves that are occurring in the market, how they link back to trading activity and drive original analysis, developing initial model for testing
- Accountable to work with the FM&I team to deliver a product that can be maintained by the Strategist teams on an ongoing basis.
Essential Education and experience
- Strong academic background; preferably in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Data Science or another quantitative background
- Able to communicate key themes and messages clearly and succinctly
- Excellent problem-solving capability
- Strong attention to detail
- Modelling capability
- Able to prioritise under pressure
- Stakeholder management
- Deep subject matter expertise in middle and/or heavy distillate markets including supply and demand drivers, how physical and related financial instruments are traded and different types of product
- Strong understanding of refining and the drivers in crude and other product market fundamentals. And ability to determine their interaction with distillate markets
- Construct & maintain market models
- Recognise structural market changes
- Econometric modelling techniques
- Knowledge of commodity and financial markets
- Understanding of the downstream oil sector, refinery processes and economics
- Experience of delivering tradeable insights from analysis
- Knowledge of sophisticated statistics, econometrics, data science and AI
- Capable using Python and other DS platforms
Why join us?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life! These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.