Advanced Bio & Physical Sciences for Low Carbon Energy (AB&PS) develops strategies and business solutions for new low carbon technologies and products. A recently created team, AB&PS is the central research organisation for biosciences, chemistry, chemical engineering science, materials sciences with special interests in biofuels, green hydrogen/electrochemistry, and the science of carbon capture. This team also hosts bp’s capability in computational modelling of biosciences and chemistry.
The Green Hydrogen and Biofuels team within the AB&PS is the hub for bp’s green hydrogen research capability. The team works to identify medium to long term advantaged technology solutions and develop science and technology options related to the use of green hydrogen as low carbon fuel and feedstock into existing assets and new business areas for bp, supporting bp’s ambition to reach net zero by 2050 or sooner. Additionally, the Green Hydrogen and Biofuels team stays close to bp businesses and external technology parties, and ensures the expertise required to progress opportunities through the early stages of green hydrogen technology development.
For nearly 20 years, bp has developed an exceptional relationship with the Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP). In 2011, bp opened the Energy Innovation Laboratory (EIL) on the DICP campus which aims to carry out fundamental underpinning science, advanced materials development in the areas of clean energy and low carbon technologies. bp has established its first research team in China to both collaborate with the DICP and support bp’s low carbon energy business globally.
The research electrochemist will be part of the EIL of the green hydrogen and biofuels team within the AB&PS. The individual will assist the EIL in building research capabilities in electrochemistry and performing electrochemical research activities which complement the work bp sponsors at the DICP. Additionally, the individual will work closely with other research teams across the AB&PS and bp globally. The individual should have strong communication skills and outstanding inter-disciplinary problem solving, critical thinking skills, and a strong interest in the scientific innovation.
- Ensuring safety practice in routine laboratory activities, especially equipment operation and maintenance and suggesting ways to improving safety.
- Assist the EIL in building research capabilities in electrochemistry including electrode material synthesis, characterization, and electrochemical tests.
- Operating lab-scale electrochemical equipment delivering experimental results and provide insight on lab scale experimental capability building when needed.
- Collaborate with both the AB&PS green hydrogen team, catalyst team and DICP academic groups. Support projects that bp sponsors at the DICP. Plan and deliver experiments to compliment the DICP work using both the bp equipment and analytical capability.
- Efficiently and independently resolve issues and problems that occur. Promptly report deviations from project plans and engage with team lead and stakeholders timely to make adjustment.
- Manage and deliver specific project objectives in line with project planned milestones and budgets by developing and implementing a fit-for-purpose experimental programme and conducting rigorous data analysis and discussion.
- Deliver technical report and hold scientific discussion to communicate the experimental results, disseminate findings and technical insights and recommendations to the science teams.
- Ensure constant communication with all EIL staff and other stakeholders to ensure proper technology intellectual management.
- Contribute to raise the profile of AB&PS team within the wider I&E by preparing and delivering presentations on projects to stakeholders when required and identify opportunities to author/present at prestigious external conferences.
- More than 4 years of relevant research experience in electrochemistry , catalysis and process development.
- Experience of tracking intellectual information (academic literature and patents) in related research projects
- Experience in the synthesis, characterisation and testing of electrode materials.
- Experience in design and/or operation of electrochemical reaction device, such as H-cell, flow cell or MEA (membrane electrode assembly).
- Operation experience in GC and electrochemical workstation; familiar with routine electrochemical material characterization methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to design and carry out experimental programmes
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritise responsibilities, work to tight deadlines and show flexibility in response to change
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience of working effectively as part of a team as well as on your own initiative.
- Ability to suggest new lines for investigation within the overall objectives of the program
- Safety advocate and confident to speak up to challenge mistakes or misconceptions.
- Master or PhD in electrochemistry, catalysis, chemical engineering or equivalent discipline with expertise related to electrochemistry or green hydrogen production
- Mandarin - Fluent
- English (spoken and written)-Fluent