Recently, bp agreed to sell all of its 50% share of the Toledo Refinery to joint-venture partner Cenovus. The sale was recently announced and the deal is expected to close in late 2022. After the sale closes, the refinery will be fully operated by Cenovus, and current bp employees who accept the Cenovus offer of employment will transition to Cenovus. You may find more information on Cenovus at www.cenovus.com.
As Rotating Equipment Engineer you will be:
Responsible for providing Rotating Equipment expertise to projects or operations, including maintenance, inspection and turnaround, proactively interacting with other subject areas, teams, sub functions and contractors to systematically resolve problems and applying sound engineering judgement to drive integrated, pragmatic solutions focused on risk management, operating efficiency, defect elimination and standardization.
- Analyzing Problems/ Fixing & Problem Solving: Systematically determine the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take
- In-depth knowledge of rotating equipment and tools
- Proficient in reading technical drawings
- Knowledgeable about project execution and control
- Skilled in developing and conducting training
- Knowledgeable about and can conduct an incident investigation to determine defects or to develop a root cause analyses (RCFA)
- Understands the requirements of PSM, specifically the MOC process
- Understands the role of the Inspection Authority
- Proficiency in requisitioning material; understands the roles of Procurement and the Warehouse
- Understands and has expertise in PM/PdM programs. (oil analysis, vibration monitoring, on line compressor performance monitoring, etc.)
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC’s, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis
- Identify and assess safety hazards
- Responsible for health, safety and environmental performance and awareness in area of responsibility to achieve our goals of no accidents, no harm to people and no harm to the environment.
- Ensures the appropriate troubleshooting analysis, failure analysis and technical solutions are employed
- Investigates accidents and near-misses. Prepares and conducts safety meetings.
- Coordinates and participates in all refinery safety programs.
- Identifies improvements and works with others to define and support the execution of projects
- Maintains a clean, safe work site and ensures adequate housekeeping
- Administers and/or participates in the support of the Employee Policy. That is, everyone knows what is expected of them (expectations/competencies), everyone has open discussions (appraisals) about performance issues, everyone is helped/helps develop employee capabilities (personal development), and everyone will be listened to and involved in improving their team’s performance (feedback)
- Provides the primary focus on Proactive Maintenance and reliability for the plant rotating equipment and systems.
- Provides technical support to the Area Asset Team
- Understands and is aligned with all Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies and procedures
- Provides technical guidance in determining priority of equipment repairs by the Area Asset Team
- Acts as a resource for Warehouse and Procurement in requisitioning materials and preparing purchase orders
- Participates in weekly scheduling meeting, as required
- Assists in planning Turnaround activities in areas of expertise
- Assists in training craftspeople in area of expertise and critical activities requiring special expertise
- Assists planning in determining the detailed scope of work, estimate, and bill of materials
- Participates, as required, in the Management of Change (MOC) process
- Assists in preparing, reviewing and approving bids
- Acts as a resource for Maintenance in understanding the scope of work and in identification and analysis of scope changes
- Will lead failure investigations
- Responsible for creating and maintaining accurate, up-to-date equipment records, including baseline data
- Analyzes equipment monitoring data and develops appropriate response to reliability problems
- Assists in verifying correct parts are being used and assessing whether used parts are repairable
- Reviews performance of outside repair facilities
- Reviews/develops standardized repair procedures for use in BP and outside repair shops in the area of expertise
- Networks with peers across BP through the Rotating Equipment Network and with industry peers in other companies
- Participates as a member of plant emergency operating procedure (EOP) team
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or relevant work experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Required: Minimum 5 years proven experience in a refinery or similar industry with practical rotating equipment and reliability experience.
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.