Job Family Group:
Project Management Group
The scrum specialist has a unique role in the agile team, primarily focused on enabling teams to self-organize, self-manage, and deliver via effective Lean-Agile practices. They are an individual contributor with significant knowledge and experience of operating agile teams, with a passion for enabling teams in meeting their delivery goals.
- The purpose of the global solutions organization is to be a central solution strategy, development, deploy and sustain organization. The solutions that are designed underpin processes that are critical to BP’s operations and compliance, to ensure that these processes are successfully executed requires the users to be well supported through training, accessible and responsive feedback from experts when new or unusual scenarios present themselves.
- The enabling solutions team role is to use our expertise to own, govern and continuously improve the global products critical to BP’s success, whilst striving to deliver the best user experience.
- The scrum specialist has a unique role in the agile team, primarily focused on enabling teams to self-organize, self-manage, and deliver via effective Lean-Agile practices. They are an individual contributor with significant knowledge and experience of operating agile teams, with a passion for enabling teams in meeting their delivery goals.
- The role will work with a range of squads in enabling solutions, across all functional areas, in each case enabling the team to effectively adopt agile principles to empower high performing teams.
- Key Accountabilities
- Scrum leadership
- Support the team rules – responsible for reinforcing key agile team rules. For example, adherence to key ceremonies.
- Facilitate the teams progress towards team goals, continually facilitating the challenging of norms and striving for improved performance in areas such as quality, predictability, flow and velocity.
- Strong focus on continued improvement, led by the facilitation of team retrospectives and an appetite for both seeking and sharing new approaches to problem-solving.
- Facilitates ceremonies including stand-ups, planning and retrospectives.
- Supports product owner with backlog management, including ensuring the backlog items are correctly logged, prioritized and the requirement is clearly documented.
- Removes impediments by supporting the team especially with issues which require input from other teams or squads. The scrum master will help the team remove the impediment, with the ultimate objective of ensure the team continues to deliver their goals.
- Promotes good agile practices, sharing best practice and advocate for the adoption of best practice both within the immediate team and across enabling solutions.
- Build a high performing team, the scrum master will help resolve interpersonal problems or improvement areas. Aiming to resolve within the team, focusing on striving for high performance. Escalating issues when resolution is not achievable.
- Estimating stories is a foundational element to the metrics and leading indicators used to manage agile teams. The scrum master is required to support the team with estimating, sharing best practice methodologies to help drive performance.
- Resource management
- Own resource capacity planning for squads, including short- and medium-term view of capacity verses the backlog.
- Performance management
- Own the measurement and sharing of key performance measures.
- Continually investigate and consider creation of new metrics which may help drive both improved team and portfolio performance.
- Capability Management
- Be an active contributor and leader of the agile capability cohort.
- Contribute to team member training plans.
- Contribute and support the enabling solutions knowledge sharing strategy, encouraging and driving the sharing of knowledge, experience and expertise across the team.
- Key Challenges
- Enabling solutions has recently started to adopt agile practices, as such, one of the key challenges is the successful adoption of agile and the changes in long established working practices it dictates.
- Breadth of the global template, from finance to procurement and customer means there is a wide group of key stakeholders involved and impacting the successful delivery of the teams.
- One size may not fit all as the maturity of the products owned by enabling solutions differs, being able to quickly adjust and react to the changing environment is vital.
- Qualification & Experience and Competencies
- 8+ years' experience working in Agile Scrum, Kanban and/or other Agile methods and/or experience in project management.
- Essential Education and Experience
- Scrum Master Certification or working towards this certification.
- Experience in operating Agile SAFE Framework
- Suitably qualified professional with degree or similar education background.
- Strong coaching and communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively manage conflict.
- Individual has a passion for agile framework and proven experience of operating at scale.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Passion for self-learning and enthusiasm for sharing knowledge with others.
- General understanding of systems deployment activities.
- Ability to work within a virtual global team environment.
- Ability to priorities effectively.
- Desirable Criteria
- Experience in operating within global business function.
- Experience working in a multi-national organization.
Up to 10% travel should be expected with this role
This role is eligible for relocation within country
This position is a hybrid of office/remote working
Change control, Commissioning, start-up and handover, Conflict Management, Construction, Cost estimating and cost control, Design development and delivery, Frameworks and methodologies, Governance arrangements, Performance management, Portfolio Management, Project and construction safety, Project execution planning, Project HSSE, Project Leadership, Project Team Management, Quality, Requirements Management, Reviews, Risk Management, Schedule and resources, Sourcing Management, Stakeholder Management, Strategy and business case, Supplier Relationship Management
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation related to bp’s recruiting process (e.g., accessing the job application, completing required assessments, participating in telephone screenings or interviews, etc.). If you would like to request an accommodation related to the recruitment process, please contact us to request accommodations.
If you are selected for a position and depending upon your role, your employment may be contingent upon adherence to local policy. This may include pre-placement drug screening, medical review of physical fitness for the role, and background checks.