Internal Audit (IA) is looking to recruit a passionate individual with a background in management of environmental, social governance (ESG) risks.
IA’s vision is to ‘enable bp’s integrated energy company transition through its objective insights and advice’. We do this through a programme of approximately 130 audits per year that consider the management of BP’s significant risks! We work with bp’s entities and management to develop ways to better manage risk and report our results, insights and agreed actions to senior leadership.
We are a global and diverse team of ~130 people, based principally in Sunbury and Houston. We provide a centre of excellence for auditing bp’s principal risks across the globe and offer exceptional opportunities to improve your career, business knowledge, networks and leadership skills. If you want to influence senior management and make a difference to how bp manages its principal risks, the senior auditor role is for you!
The role involves leading or being a senior team member for a range of audits covering energy transition risks as well as other audits involving finance, commercial and business regulations activities. We are looking for ESG risk management expertise in areas such as:
- carbon emissions
- ESG and non-financial reporting
- compliance with regulations such as Task force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
- strategy governance
- sustainability frame including areas such as human rights, biodiversity
In-house training and coaching will be provided to help you develop and practice audit and leadership skills. You may also contribute to the evolution of internal audit practices through continuous improvement projects.
The role represents an excellent opportunity for you to be an early adopter of new digital tools, data, technology and ways of working, develop industry-leading internal audit skills and also improve risk management in BP, while broadening your knowledge and understanding of bp’s businesses and operation.Key accountabilities
As a senior auditor, you will work as an audit lead or senior team member on audits across the year. You may take additional leadership roles within the function or when acting as a team member, for example acting as deputy lead. Audit accountabilities
- Understand relevant business risks and controls to develop audit scopes and testing
- Effectively engage with the business and manage relationships with internal stakeholders, the audit team and senior business leaders
- Apply subject matter expertise and lead a team of auditors to deliver impactful insights and verify action closure
- Deliver quality audit reports, work papers and business communications
- Provide coaching, mentoring and development to other IA staff
- support IA’s evolution through continuous improvement of audit approaches and change programmes
- help develop the annual audit programme and executive management reporting
- exemplify conformance with bp requirements and processes
- role model ethics and compliance as well as bp’s values & behaviours including a strong focus on HSSE management, diversity, inclusion and equity
Essential experience and job requirements
- A suitable ESG professional / degree, accountancy qualification or MBA and relevant industry or public accounting experience
- experience gained in relevant industry and / or public accounting covering sustainability and ESG areas
- understanding of current and emerging ESG and business risk trends, threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations
- ability to manage and deliver challenging messages to senior stakeholders and lead global teams in a range of business environments
- data analysis and problem-solving skills with a track record of innovative approaches, simplification and efficiency
- knowledge of governance, risk and controls processes and the external regulatory environment for ESG risks (e.g. TCFD, SASB)
The typical travel requirement for the role is approximately 30% but may vary depending on individual circumstances.
Internal Audit operates on a principle of nine fieldwork rounds per year, enabling auditors to plan and prepare for audit travel months in advance.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.