At bp, we're striving to meet the growing global demand for safe, sustainable, and affordable energy. bp’s ambition is to be one of the leading providers of offshore wind energy. A career in offshore wind is an opportunity to help shape the future of bp. To power the scale and pace of growth that we are targeting, we need the best people in the industry. As part of the team, you’ll be playing a key role in support bp to move towards our net zero ambition, at the same time as being part of one of our exciting new energy businesses. You’ll help to plan for and develop our offshore wind projects, growing your talent in all kinds of new and exciting ways to define the future of energy.
bp and Equinor formed a strategic partnership to develop offshore wind energy in US. bp and Equinor will jointly develop four assets in two existing offshore wind leases located offshore New York and Massachusetts that together have the potential to generate power for more than two million homes.
The partnership will leverage capability and experience from both companies. Development engineering, construction and commissioning operations will be performed by Equinor Wind Services LLC US. It is staffed by secondees from both Equinor and bp.
This role is needed to support these projects in the greater New York city area. The successful candidate may support offshore wind as a home-based employee before deployment to the US East Coast, upon prior agreement, and must be mobile to work in the required area when needed.
It is possible that this role will become a secondment onto a bp joint venture. This can be discussed in more detail during the recruitment process.
As a Senior Civil Engineer, you will be supervising the planning, design and construction of onshore & nearshore civil engineering infrastructure in support of offshore wind projects, including port facilities, dry docks, casting yards, cable landfalls, shore protection works, reclamation and earthworks, foundations, pavements, utilities, substations, control buildings, and other infrastructure. You will provide onshore and nearshore civil engineering expertise and experience to offshore wind projects and operations in order to support bp in achieving its net zero ambition.
- Provide conceptual development studies and site selection activities, including site investigations.
- Contribute to the development of project documentation including Basis of Design, technical and operational requirements and guidelines, and functional specifications.
- During execution, support construction field engineers and provide input to civil engineering decisions e.g., handling of site queries and non-conformance requests
- Ensuring constructability, safe and cost-efficient design, and integrity management throughout asset life.
- Adhere to bp’s code of conduct, ethics and compliance rules, and values & behaviors.
- Actively contribute to the civil engineering community of practice to share knowledge and learnings.
- Ensure design and operations are in accordance with technical practices and performance standards.
- Quantify and communicate risks to relevant stakeholders to ensure they are understood, controlled and continuously reduced across the business.
- Participate in mentoring and coaching by actively sharing expertise and experience with team members.
You will have a bachelors or higher degree in Civil Engineering or appropriate professional accreditation (e.g., P.E. status, chartered civil engineer, or chartered status in closely aligned discipline). Experience is what matters. The successful candidate should have proven experience in the design, construction, or integrity management of civil engineering infrastructure required to support the offshore wind industry.It’s important to have:
- Good knowledge of industry codes and standards used for civil engineering infrastructure
- Broad general civil engineering expertise including the following areas:
- conceptual and detailed design of onshore structures, foundations and earthworks, pavements, buildings, and other civil engineering works
- conceptual and detailed design of nearshore port & maritime works including reclamation and shore protection works
- cable landfalls and onshore substations construction, inspection, and integrity management of onshore and maritime structures
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and succinct manner.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams with minimal technical supervision.
- Ability to use strong technical skills to think strategically and provide powerful insights.
It’s desirable to have experience in project management, management of change, risk assessment, contractor performance management, process safety, and inspection, maintenance & repair strategies.
Internal Employees: Please be advised the position will be raised as either H or G level, depending on identified talent aligned to previous years of experience and relevant skills required for set grade level.Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
sourcing req posted to act as 2 fills