Innovation & Engineering
Job Family Group:
Senior Data Manager – Wells and Subsurface
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We are working towards delivering light, heat, and mobility to millions of people every day. We are one of the few companies equipped to solve some of the big, complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low-carbon future. Join us and be part of what we can accomplish together. You can participate in our new ambition to become a net zero company by 2050 or sooner and help the world reach net zero.
Critical to achieving bp’s digital ambitions is delivering our high-value data and analytics initiatives and enabling the technologies and platforms that will support those objectives. We are developing deep data capability to transform our vast and ever-growing data reserves' access, supply, control, and quality.
We are looking for a Senior Data Manager to join the Wells and Subsurface data insights product team to represent the data and analytics discipline and support the development of business-required digital products.
The Senior Data Manager will have expertise in data management, analytics, engineering, and science solutions in digital product development.
They will join a squad as part of the wider Wells and Subsurface data management team within bp dataWorx.
The Wells and Subsurface Senior Data Manager will interface closely with other Wells and Subsurface data managers, product teams, and business stakeholders to develop data and analytical solutions to meet business requirements.
The Wells and Subsurface Senior Data Manager is a technical role for those passionate about data and analytics, keen to innovate and provide insights on data to inform better business decisions.
Key technical capabilities and expectations:
- Data Domain Knowledge: Provide deep data domain knowledge and business context around Wells and Subsurface, data products, and other industrial data sources.
- Data Manipulation: able to cleanse, transform, reconcile, and standardize data by creating new or modifying existing scripts/automation as needed to ensure high-quality data is available to meet business requirements. Work with business stakeholders and digital technical squads to coordinate data access and ingestion opportunities to support business requirements. Leverage knowledge of data models and business processes and upskill others in data manipulation best practices.
- Coding: find opportunities for code re-use and productionize it into data management software systems in your immediate business entity/enabler area. Advocate for coding best practices across your immediate team (e.g. unit tests, checks code into git, code review).
- Automation: collaborate with Data Engineers to build new tools and approaches to automate data ingestion, data integration, manipulation, and quality control, where needed. In addition to being hands-on yourself, you ensure your team re-use or build on top of existing work. Advocate for tech debt removal, build and maintain scalable and re-usable systems that are used by others, and identify high-value data sets and opportunities for automation.
- Standards (internal + external): define, author, and own internal standards and workflows (as needed); drive these to agreement and adoption in a subset of your business entity. Drive and adhere to data privacy and digital security standards (Digital Security Policy, etc.) to ensure the security of bp data.
- Best practices: provide insight into industry and technology trends and best practices; advocate for data management best practices (including best practices on decommissioning and archiving data) in your immediate area; review others' work and ensure high quality and reproducibility standards are met. Author / guide internal data management best practices in data domain areas of expertise (as needed).
- Right approach/tool choice: understand a wide range of several commonly available Data Manager approaches and tools; have an iterative mindset.
- Architectural Design: provide content and input for data models and data integration as a result of understanding of multiple data domains; you validate the data architecture solution from a customer/consumption/usage viewpoint.
- Citizenship: engage in honest conversations, encourage team members to ask questions, and actively listen to concerns. Inclusive: collecting diverse opinions and ideas, seeking out the silent voice. Leverage your own skills & experience to upskill others. Understand how your work with data impacts bp with respect to safety, cost, or other high-value impacts. Able to identify continuous improvement opportunities to create safer operations, reduce cost, or other opportunities with data.
- Autonomy in problem identification and problem breakdown: end-to-end project ownership: independently identify problems to be solved in your team / sub-area due to in-depth technical and business understanding. Able to grasp vague, complex, and broad problems and break them down into actionable sub-problems and tasks, disseminated to more junior team members.
- Stakeholder Management: proactively reach out to stakeholders to support product development and suggest solutions.
- Change Management: recognize and effectively build, communicate, and manage the business case for change – the costs and the benefits, building energy around the change. You use change as an opportunity to advance business objectives.
- Communication Skills: effectively communicate orally and in writing to a technical and non-technical audience.
- bp, I&E, Data & Analytics values: foster a culture that enables the bp, I&E and Data & Analytics values.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field.
- At least 5+ years of industrial experience.
- Business domain knowledge and experience gained from the energy industry.
- Hands-on experience with modern, large-scale databases (EDM, Rushmore).
- Solid knowledge and skills in SQL/and scripting in Python.
- Proficient at digesting, understanding, and analyzing large amounts of data.
- Deep understanding of data models, data standards, and processes.
- Customer-centric and pragmatic mindset.
- Focus on value delivery and swift execution while maintaining attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Stakeholder management and ability to lead through influence.
- Experience in data program management, including roadmap development, agile project management, product delivery, and customer support.
- Continuous learning and improvement mindset.
Why join us
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Up to 10% travel should be expected with this role
Relocation may be negotiable for this role
This position is a hybrid of office/remote working
Business Acumen, Commercial acumen, Communication, Data Analysis, Data cleansing and transformation, Data domain knowledge, Data Integration, Data Management, Data Manipulation, Data Sourcing, Data strategy and governance, Data Structures and Algorithms, Data visualization and interpretation, Digital Security, Extract, transform and load, Problem Solving
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, socioeconomic status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation related to bp’s recruiting process (e.g., accessing the job application, completing required assessments, participating in telephone screenings or interviews, etc.). If you would like to request an accommodation related to the recruitment process, please contact us to request accommodations.
If you are selected for a position and depending upon your role, your employment may be contingent upon adherence to local policy. This may include pre-placement drug screening, medical review of physical fitness for the role, and background checks.