The Senior Drilling Engineer is accountable for providing the engineering expertise required to support the delivery of well engineering activities that meet business objectives, adequately address safety and operational risk, follow local regulations and conform to bp practices. The Senior Drilling Engineer supports the Drilling Engineering Discipline Manager (DEM) during planning and Wells Superintendent (WSUP) during execution by reviewing engineering tasks and documentation for their approval and by carrying out the Squad Leader role in Design & Execute.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Safety, Risk Management and Compliance
- Lead identification of well control and process safety risks and ensure mitigations in well design / operations.
- Ensure management of field-level Risk Register and development of well-specific Risk Registers including completeness and relevant preventions / mitigations.
- Check the effective discussion of risks, preventions, and mitigations during procedural reviews.
- Support Management of Change / Deviations by supporting/facilitating Risk Assessments and ensuring emerging risks are properly addressed.
- Review well design, permitting, and operations while assuring compliance with local regulations and conformance with bp practices.
Well Planning and Execution
- Reviews optimal well plans with the extended wells engineering team in order to meet program, HSE, performance, and life of well objectives.
- Lead Engineering Self-Verification and Oversight.
- Act as Squad Lead for Design & Execute and utilizes Azure Dev Ops (ADO) and the agile/squad framework for well delivery per bp practice.
- Review well specific technical design documents and procedures (i.e. WCS, SoR, BoDs, DGOPs, WWIs, engineering modelling, procedures, etc.).
- Create business ownership through the life of the well including accurate cost / time estimates (FM/AFE), cost monitoring, VOWD and due diligence.
- Manage knowledge content: lessons learnt, best practices, case histories, SITs etc. using the relevant tools and databases.
- Participate in incident investigations and oversee the ESQ2 process.
- Provide engineering technical support and review of contractor services including new technologies.
- Manage continuous improvement projects, optimize drilling performance and seek new and more efficient ways to improve drilling performance.
- Assure reliability / integrity via participation in equipment assurance and QA/QC documentation.
- Interface with flowlines to assure wells requirements/timings for POP/POI are properly communicated.
- Ensure timely and accurate well handover documentation for approval.
UK: Sunbury, Aberdeen
Leadership, Values & Behaviours
- Role model V&Bs and ethics and compliance through words, actions, and decisions.
- Promote Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and seek to build enduring capability in self and others.
- Identify and embed agile techniques, tools and efforts related to modernization and transformation.
- Ability to prioritize work-fronts.
- Work as team and exhibit good behaviours.
Preferred Education, Experience and Certification
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline or higher.
- Validated experience in drilling.
- Well Control Certification Combined Supervisor, IWCF/IADC.
- Excels in drilling engineering detailed design and drilling operation execution
- Experience with Landmark suite software for modelling casing design, directional well plan, hydraulics, torque & drag in order to coach others.
Why join our team? We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to crafting an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, collaboration spaces in a modern office environment, and many other benefits!
Reinvent your career as you help our business meet the challenges of the future. Apply now!