Position is responsible for managing a team to deliver accounting and reporting services and ensure the integrity and effectiveness of accounting policy application, internal control, financial reporting, accounting systems support and delivery of end-to-end financial accounting processes, implementing continuous improvement plans and managing conformance to internal and external requirements.
Control & Assurance (C&A) is a global team within Finance, with accountability for: developing and managing bp’s internal control policies and delegations of authority; developing the approach for, and ensuring compliance with, external requirements related to internal control over financial reporting (ICFR), including Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX); managing the quarterly due diligence process and preparing the annual management assessment of internal control over financial reporting. C&A also develops and delivers control related training and is involved in governance and other activities to support the overall control environment. This role will be involved in a wide range of activities supporting the overall accountabilities of C&A.
The primary accountabilities for this role will include a mix of the following team accountabilities.
Essential EducationUniversity degree and accounting qualification (CFA, ACA, CIMA, ACMA) or MBAJob RequirementsYears of experience: 8 to 10 years of relevant experience
- Establish, maintain, communicate and support consistent application of financial control policies; maintain expertise and awareness of current developments with external authoritative guidance (e.g. SEC, PCAOB, Turnbull, COSO) and related impacts to policy and training. Specific accountabilities include:
- Continually update finance control policies
- Provide advice, support and training on the control policies to ensure consistent application across the group.
- Develop and deliver threshold and materiality analysis (for control policies and the SOX management assessment).
- Create related communication materials and proactively develop and support a variety of communication channels including Teams and Yammer.
- Produce bp’s annual management assessment and quarterly deficiency evaluation and reporting:
- Define the overall approach to Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Evaluate and report deficiencies
- Validate remediation of deficiencies
- Produce the quarterly deficiency report
- Produce the annual management assessment report
- Interface with internal audit for context on findings, the tiering of deficiencies and identification and communication of business process best practices.
- Perform the quantitative aspects of SOX management assessment scoping
- Ownership and monitoring of the group’s ICFR impact assessment process for projects
- Build long-term capability for the finance community by helping to design, develop and deliver a suite of control training modules
- Maximize value by leading or actively supporting control modernization and simplification / standardization initiatives including:
- Maintenance and support of the Sarbanes-Oxley compliance solution - Wdesk (including development and support of a new solution)
- Balance Sheet Assurance (BSA) and Delegations of Authority (DofA) simplification projects
- End User Computing (EUC) technical reviews, governance, monitoring and support.
- Collaborative team player and agile outlook to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong continuous improvement mentality and drive for excellence, challenging existing ways of working and identifying quick wins and strategic solutions
- Effective communication with senior stakeholders and peers and strong influencing skills with proven capability to manage multiple/conflicting priorities and ambiguity.
- Experience of driving process reengineering across finance, reporting or control processes
- Working knowledge of and experience using data visualization and data analytics tools (e.g. PowerBI, Palantir, Tableau, Python, Excel, etc.) to provide insights and deliver value to business stakeholders.
- Financial reporting and control experience in energy industry or corporate functions will be desirable
- Fundamental understanding of BP’s approach to ICFR