Position is responsible for supporting software / platform engineering activities (depending on specialism), working with users to capture requirements, using sound technical capabilities to lead the design, development and maintenance of the relevant systems and ensuring compliance with the relevant standards. Specialisms: Software Engineering; Platform Engineering.
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you are the expert member of a team creating software for bp colleagues and external users.
Your team’s mission is to be the digital provider of choice to your area of bp - delivering innovation at speed where it's wanted, and day-in-day-out reliability where it's needed. You will operate in a dynamic and commercially focussed environment, with the resources of one of the world's largest Digital organisations and leading Digital and IT vendors working with you. You will be part of growing and strengthening our technical talent base – experts coming together to solve bp and the world’s problems.
Bachelors (or higher) degree in Computer Science, MIS/IT, Mathematics or a hard science.
Years of experience: 8 to 12 years of relevant experience
Essential SkillsIn addition to having leadership capability, you have validated experience in most of these technologies:
- Working with users and business analysts to understand requirements
- Designing, developing, and testing custom software applications
- Supporting and maintaining your software. We believe in DevOps – you build it, you run it!
- Monitoring and applying emerging technologies
- Providing mentorship and thought leadership to your team and across the organisation
- Azure and/or AWS
- Azure DevOps/Git/GitHub
- RESTful APIs
- Deep understanding of automated testing (unit, functional, integration, e2e)
- Container technologies (EKS, AKS, OpenShift, docker) and Serverless
- DevOps principles – you build it, you run it!
- Monitoring and telemetry tools
- Agile methodologies
- Proven willingness and ability to learn, to become deeply skilled in at least one more programming language on top of your existing skillset
- Deep experience and understanding of the software development lifecycle, including design, security, design patterns for extensible and reliable code, automated unit and functional testing, CI/CD and telemetry
- Expertise in modern technologies like Cloud native, containers, serverless
Additional InformationKey Behaviors:
- Confirmed experience of Agile methodologies, DevOps culture and practices, Lean techniques like Value Stream Mapping
- User story definition
- Application Support
- Leadership and EQ
- You embrace a culture of change and agility, evolving continuously, adapting to our changing world
- You are a great team-mate, looking beyond your own area and organisational boundaries to consider the bigger picture and perspective of others.
- You are self-aware and actively seek mentorship from others on impact and effectiveness
- You apply judgment and common sense. You use insight and good judgement to enable commercially sound, efficient and pragmatic decisions and solutions and to respond to situations as they arise.
- You ensure your personal compliance with BP's Code of Conduct and strong consistency with our Values & Behaviors.
- You have cultural fluency – you actively seek to understand cultural differences and sensitivities.
- Empathetic: Cares about our people, our community and our planet
- Curious: Seeks to explore and excel
- Creative: Imagines the extraordinary
- Inclusive: Brings out the best in each other